1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noiseless Jazz Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nuemes, Apr 1, 2009.

1. nuemes

nuemes

Jun 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Looking for classic sounding noiseless jazz bass pickups for my Hamer USA Cruisebass (jazz copy).

I love the sound of the stock pickups but when using the neck pickup alone, which is my favorite sound, there is too much noise for recording quieter material.

I'd like to find a noiseless replacement that still gives me the same single coil sound if possible - similar to the bass on Neil Youngs Harvest album.

If it helps I use Thomastik-Infeld jazz bass flatwounds and prefer a mellow-ish 70's tone.

What do you recommend?

2. nuemes

nuemes

Jun 9, 2005
    Seattle
    25 views and no comments :crying:

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm quite sure Tim Drummond played a P bass on Harvest.

But there are a lot of hum canceling Jazz pickup on the market.

4. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Hey hey, can only say I feel your pain. Ended up putting bart classics in the frettless and do love them. Not too far off from the jazz sound and work great for the fretless. Am thinking about trying to sheild the pickups on the fretted to see how that goes. Have done the cavities already and still catching the radio and hums when favoring one pickup volume wise. Saw somewhere here someone did that on a Marcus Miller with some good pics.
    David

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ...DP123 FTW!!!

I just got them and they are really amazing.

6. i agree with santucci218. i will be purchasing a new jazz bass soon, and as always, i will load it with dimarzios dp 123.

7. gforce9

gforce9

Dec 19, 2007
    I just put in Nordstrand NJ4SE's in a Modulus Vintage Jazz. I really like them. Nordy also has an NJ4SV that is modeled after a 60's sound. The SE's are fantastic! Happy hunting.

8. Hawk_GP

Hawk_GP

Oct 5, 2005
    I'm looking at nordtrand SE's in a fretless JB/ebony....was a toss up between those and the Fralins and Bill Lawrence's.

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ha, just bite the bullet and pick a pair that look good. you will have to do a lot of buying to find your favorites.

10. I have some DP123's, the neck p/u is stellar