Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noiseless Jazz PU's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Audiophage, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I'm considering putting Noiseless Jazz Bass Pickups in my 1977 Fender Jazz. Now I like really like the sound of the current stock pickups and don't want much of any difference in tone so I was wondering if the Noiseless ones would change any of that other than the hum that takes place when the volumes knobs aren't set properly.

2. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Humbucking pups, IME, will come close, but not totally recreate a single coil tone such as what you have. There are some great HB's out there, but they usually have slighly less highs due to the extra coil windings..which could probably be compensated by boosting the tone control or adding EQ to taste. The differences could be very subtle, but the plus is that HB's will be dead quiet when soloing the bridge or under stage lights. I just got Dimarzio J's and believe they will give me more "bite" than the stock pups in my Warwick. Keep in mind some pups have hotter outputs and are more aggressive than some (read the specs).

Nordstrand has some HB's they are supposed to sound very similar to the single coil version. Fender Noiseless J's. EMG's (J, JV; more hi-fi, slick sound, active), SD's, etc.

Good luck!

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Say I were to get the Fender Noiseless Jazz pickups and put in 500K pots would I be able to retain my brightness and low end without the hum?

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You may like them just fine with the stock volume pot (and given that your bass is a 77, you may have a 250K, 500K, or 1MEG pot in there already). The tonal difference between 250K and 500K on a bass is slight- turn the treble up on your amp a very slight bit and you can match them pretty well. It has less effect than the kinds of strings you use and how you pluck/pick.

5. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I just sunk my Dimarzio's in today and..wow...great punch and thicker output compared to the stocks (although the stock single coils were dead quiet in all pup variations for some reason...??..gotta hand it to those Germans :D ) These babies bite!! :eek: I agree with those that say Dimarzio's are underrated ($89 compared to higher priced pups I've bought in the past...and sold.) What I like is that even coupled w/ a Bart NTBT preamp, the bass still retains the woody tone and nuances of the body, neck, and fingerboard wood w/ the preamp on..just punchier and thicker.

I agree w/ Lyle, you shouldn't be able to notice much of a difference between the 250 and 500K......if you are a purist maybe.....I can't remember the last time I was watching a band and internally yelled out, "Wow, must be a 250K'er!" :p

Keep us posted!

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Now that I think of it my bass is very bright, I wouldn't be surprised if it was already equipped with 500K or 1MEG pots. And I tend to play pretty aggressivesly on my DR strings. Yeah, I guess what pots I get wouldn't make a huge difference when you consider all of the other factors.

Oh yeah Lyle, you're the guy with the Jazz Shielding Picture Walkthrough. I was planning on doing all of that once I can find/have enough money for a better backup bass.

7. I put Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in my MIA Jazz bass.
    They sound really good with the stock pots. I personally think they sound better than the stock pickups. They have good high end, mids and very good lows.
    Oh, and NO Noise unless I get really close to my computers monitor then it is very minimal.