Noiseless Jazz Quarter-Pounders?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BearCave, Jan 4, 2018.

1. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a pickup similar in output to the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Jazz pickups but that are noiseless? I have a set of Quarter Pounders in a Fender Custom Shop Jazz Bass I have, and while I love how hot they are, the second I try to go to either just the neck or bridge pickup, they get noisy. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

DiMarzio:

upload_2018-1-4_16-34-11.png

3. Before I even saw KBD’s post my mind went straight to the original Di Marzio Model Js. I have these in a Fretless Jazz with John East Retro J . Wow. Everything I could ask for in a Jazz Bass . Expect the others by Di Marzio to be great but have no personal experience .

That being said my current favorite bass pickups are the Wilde P-46 and J-45. I think you might like these too.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    If you want true Quarter Pound sound, but noiseless, the Custom Shop can build those.

5. Domespeed

Domespeed

Oct 7, 2010
    Germany
    The Ultra Jazz were actually the first pickups that came into my mind when I read the thread title.
    I think they are the closest-to-Quarterpounder sounding pickups of all the noiseless Js (though they still sound different).

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. I have the SD 1/4's in a P/J. Split P and J.

I can solo either with zero noise. Not sure what's going on with yours.

Are you running 2 J's in a "jazz' config?

7. BearCave

BearCave Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes. This is how I bought the bass brand new. Controls are Volume, Blend, Treble/Bass (concentric), midrange. It has an 18V preamp. Whenever I start turning the blend off center detent, either to the neck or bridge pickup, I start getting the infamous 60 cycle hum/noise.

20150217_191644.jpg

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You could buy a set of new pickups, or you could do a shielding job on the bass, which is much cheaper, but also more work.
    In either case you'll be having to open up the bass & do some soldering. I'd try shielding it first & see if that solves your problem.

Slater likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021