Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noiselesspups on MIM jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alienbass, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Alienbass

Alienbass

Aug 12, 2000
    Has anyone put the noiseless pickups on a passive bass with
    success? I can't stay the hum anymore and don't want to go active. But I want the classic jazz growl

2. RG

RG

May 11, 2000
    central Illinois
    Check the old posts or do a search, there is some good info there. BTW I put Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in mine and I really like them. Although if your talking about the Fender noiseless pick ups I dont know anything about them.

3. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I keep hearing this complaint about the MIM pickups. Why won't Fender fix this simple problem once and for all? I might even buy one then.....:)

4. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Because they're selling like hotcakes. Better pups=higher price=fewer sales.

5. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Actually, the NO-hum pups could be installed at the factory at little, or even No aditional cost. That is what is so puzzling to me, about why they don't do it.

6. GaryB

GaryB

Aug 30, 2000
    I have achieved good results by shielding my MIM Jazz Bass. It used to hum and feedback when I got within 3 feet of my amplifier. Lane Poors web page has excellent instructions on how to do this yourself or you may be able to find a repair technician to do this for you. While not as quiet as my Modulus Flea with Lane Poor Pickups and Bartolini active eq, it is as quiet and hum free as any other Fender Bass I have owned.

Good luck!

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have a Fender MIM 5 string Deluxe Active Jazz bass, and find her to be very quiet. I get NO unwanted hum, feedback or hiss from her at all. They use the U.S. Deluxe low noise stacked humbuckers in them....you may wanna look into those as well as the noiseless ones they use on the MIA Jazz bass deluxes.

8. cassanova, you don't have that problem because your running active pickups. On the passive pickup side, yes it actually would cost more money to put in hum cancelling pickups, thats why aftermarket ones cost so much money. My MIA Jazz Bass has no hum to it, except when I'm using a bad chord, so check to see if that might be it. If anything replacing pickups might not always help, since the resonance of the wood that they use for the MIMs arn't the best in the world. Also the MIMs arn't shielded that well from outside electical interference (which might also be your problem).