Noisey Carvin ..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassstud1, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Well it finally happened. I bought something from Ebay that has a problem. When it's in passive mode it sounds OK But if you use only the humbucker it gets very noisey. It has that same sound like when your amp is plugged in to the same circuit as a neon bar sign. I'm hoping it's just a grounding problem. Everything looked OK when I cracked it open, But the push pull volume knob does seem loose. Not from the circuit board but the rotating part of the pot. This is a Carvin 5 string with a coil tap and humbucker. Any suggestions where to start? Or should I just bite the bullet and get new electronics for it. Thanks for all your help. I was hoping someone else had already been down this road.
  2. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I have a 5-String Carvin LB75P and had the same problem, and you're right... it would seem like a grounding problem. But, mine turned out to be the volume pot. I called Carvin and they sent me one without cost. I think the part number is B500K0050.

Mine's been great ever since. BTW, their electronics are generally very good, so I'd be pretty reluctant to change them on a hunch. If you suspect that someone may have had tampered with yours before you got it, you might want to check out Carvin's site. They have all kinds of schematics and wiring diagrams available at Carvin Manuals

Good luck! :)
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well.... I have never owned a carvin.. so I can't really outright Dissagree with MJW.. however I have played on several different carvin basses..
    and while I believe the built of these basses were good.. I felt that they lacked sufficiently in the tone/ volume area... I would suggest putting in a new preamp and pickups.. some bartolinis would be most nice IMO.
  4. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I agree if you're speaking of the older and/or non-P-series offferings. But the newer models with 18V electronics and piezos really kick! :)

As always, YMMV.... ;-)
  5. I actually like the sound of my LB75 with the standard electronics, and it's an early '90s model (most likely since it has Sperzel tuners and a Wilkinson bridge). Perhaps if I play a bass with higher end electronics I'll see the difference, but I'm happy for now.:)
  6. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i had a 5 string with the humbucker and the best thing i did to it was replace the MM pickup and get a bart preamp. Its so much more clear and clean. The old tone seemed muddy and undefined by comparison.

If you like the tone how it is, and the noise is your only problem, then don't waste money on a new preamp, just try to fix the problem. To me, the bass in passive mode sounded exactly the same as active mode, if all the tone controls were flat, so passive mode should give you a good idea of the tone you'll be getting.

When my carvin had the stock electronics in it, it wasn't noisy or hissy or anything, So if you like your tone, you should be able to get it back into working condition with a cheap volume pot fix, and it shouldn't be a problem.