1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noisey KSD bass - is it the pick ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wayne Gulley, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Wayne Gulley

Wayne Gulley

Oct 2, 2005
    Hello KSD owners, I hope someone reads this that can assist me with a problem I have had with 2 KSD 5 string basses. I've owned both 5 string models and have had the same problem; a noise that sounds like a 'crackle' or static sound is produced when I lightly touch the strings. I believe the KSD come stock with single coils so I've shielded both PU cavities and the control cavity and ground all together - and yet the noise persists (even when the pan is centered). I would like other KSD owners to advise if they have had this problem and if so how did they resolve it. Thanks, my first inclination is to purchase humbucking replacements but I suspect the preamp and or electronics may be suspect. I will check the ground to the bridge connection too. I think structurally the bass is sound but electronically I have my doubts.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

This thread may be useful

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276127

I'm guessing this occurs no matter where you play the bass but static from your body is a thought. The pop indicates a spike in electrical discharge to me.

3. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I had a similar problem, so I shielded the crap out of the bass with copper foil including grounding to the bridge. Noise is essentially gone.

4. Wayne Gulley

Wayne Gulley

Oct 2, 2005
    Hey Jaycephas, that was what I did to correct the problem. Apparently the KSDs are known for poor grounding so I had to foil everything and ground all together before the noise went away. Next the preamp and its cluttered wiring had to go if I was going to keep the KSD so I replaced it with an Audere JZ5D-J Deluxe and WHOA!!! What a difference! Quiet and lots of options for midrange on this bass! No more cheap electronics and cluttered wiring now, its clean, clear sounding and best of all absent from any single coil noise.

5. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    Wayne,

I'm just about to order my second Audere to drop into the KSD. I've got one in my Lakland DJ5 and still can't believe all the tonal options and huge bottom end I get now. My Audere experience has been top shelf and David Meadows is great to work with.

6. Wayne Gulley

Wayne Gulley

Oct 2, 2005
    Hello Jaycephas,

I agree 100% with your comments regarding the Audere experience. I could not believe how quickly they confirmed my order via E-mail then shipped the same day! The preamp is quality made and easily installed. I owned a John East J-Retro in the past and it's a great preamp but from a total value standpoint all my future jazz basses will have an Audere.