1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noisiest Power Tool?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eleonn, Sep 15, 2008.

1. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Ive been thinking about which would be the noisiest power tool out there used at guitar building. Since I only have a router and a hand drill I do not know how much noise the other ones can produce.

Living on an building where if you knock at your door to hard neighbors start to complain, the noise thing would be an issue for a future builds. Id need to buy at least a drillpress (Im thinking how to take it to the 10th floor by the stairs and not let it to be seen by anybody!!!).

For my (very limited) experience, routers are waaaaay more noisy than hand drills. but what about a drillpress (say a normal bit, sander attachment or safe t planer), different types of sanders, bandsaw or whatever tool you use.

2. Chainsaw.

Definitely a chainsaw. :D

3. A nice big old industrial strength surface planer can really hurt you, w/o even touching it. :D

4. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    I'd say the router is loudest. Drill presses don't really make noise. Other than that a wide belt sander or planer are pretty loud but I wouldn't be using any of these in an apartment.

5. :eek: You use a chainsaw to build a guitar? I wanna see pics! :hyper:

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Noisiest power tool:

anthonyrobbins_228x519.

7. Eddie Loves You

Eddie Loves You

Apr 28, 2005
    Planer. Planer planer planer.

Planer.

8. Mallet and chisel!

:(

With a router you can be done in 5 minutes, but with a chisel you may take quarter of an hour over the same job.

9. What - are you just trying to find the best way to annoy your neighbors, or drown out your lousy guitarist during rehearsal? ;)

10. planers.

11. Joey.Ogden

Joey.Ogden

Aug 11, 2008
    My noisiest power tool?

Jazz bass.

12. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow

AHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAaaa

haahaaa

oh

whew....

13. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Rotozip's make the most godawful noise imaginable. Shrill and terrible.

14. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Planer. It seems to turn the whole plank into a big sounding board and the knives whacking it are incredibly loud. I forgot to wear the hearing protection once and my ears were ringing for hours.

15. How about Tony Robbins going through a planer? ;)

16. +1 planner, close second is a router.

thats why i have a really big stereo in my shop : )

17. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    My tablesaw has a scream that could be heard two citys over, second would be the planer and then my table mounted router running a close third.

18. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    yep planer, then maybe the Italians I work with, can't say they're much of a 'tool' though. haha no its all in good humor. table mounted router is indeed quite noisy too.

19. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Me when I make a mistake :)

20. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    +1
    Used to have an early 90's Makita Chop saw that could peel paint off the walls.
    I have a shop vac that does very nearly the same.