1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noisy Acoustic 150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Combs4MyDomes, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Combs4MyDomes

Combs4MyDomes

Apr 23, 2008
    KC
    I have an old Acoustic 150 head that is really noisy. I really like the tone i get with my jazz bass through this, but it has a really loud hum. Is there anything i can do to reduce this hum or do i just have to deal with it?

2. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    I am not a tech but it might need new caps.
    If it has a two prong cord, changing to a 3-prong might help.
    You might want to ask this question on the vintage Kustom site; they are pretty good at maintaining solid state amps.

3. Combs4MyDomes

Combs4MyDomes

Apr 23, 2008
    KC
    Thanks for the info, ill check it out

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Does it hum with nothing plugged in?

5. Combs4MyDomes

Combs4MyDomes

Apr 23, 2008
    KC
    it doesnt hum when the cab is disconnected. But it hums when the cab is connected even with my bass unplugged. The cab is an old kustom 215

6. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Then I suspect LesS is right that it just might need new caps. Caps are made better today and should last even longer. If this is the problem, ignoring it could hurt the amp more.

It could be a loose ground connection - sometimes you can tell buy just going in and wiggling inside cables.

If you're going to do it yourself, go to some electronic boards and ask questions and safety advice.

If it's worth fixing, I don't know. There are some good cheap heads with all new parts available.