1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noisy Acoustic Control amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i3ear, Aug 26, 2007.

1. i3ear

i3ear

Aug 26, 2007
    Stayton OR
    D: I have an Acoustic Control 360 300W head that I bought out of my gay love of Jaco and the fact that it sounds REALLY good!

Only problem is that it is really noisy!

It is a "Pink Noise" (punchy random static) kinda sound. The volume or EQ of it has no effect on it (however the intensify switch does), and I can overpower it if it is loud enough.

But the noise is very noticeable when I am not playing.
    I tried plugging my bass directly into the master preamp in (on the effects loop in back) and there is no noise at all. So I DEDUCE that it is the preamp. I have already check the fuse, it all matches and the fuse works properly.

Also, I do not want to buy a new preamp for these reasons
    I have a 2 channel effect setup (one dry and one with effects), and I dont' wana pay out the fgkjaf for 2 separate preamps.

And

I got that amp because of the incredible sound of it!

Sorry if this is the wrong fourm or whatever, this is my VERY first post here!

2. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    These are normally very quiet when working properly. Mine did something similar which turned out to be the on/off switch gone bad.

3. i3ear

i3ear

Aug 26, 2007
    Stayton OR
    Whell, if I can I would like to try and fix this myself if it is something simple like a slightly lhvfed up on/off switched so I don't have to pay a rediculus amount to have someone else do it.

And yes I know from my time at UG "THERE ARE VOLTAGES THAT WILL KILL YOU IN THERE DO NOT OPEN IT OR ELSE YOU WILL DIE"
    However I also know that there are safe ways to discharged the voltages inside the capacaters/coils/whatever. I would like some instruction on that if the general theory is that it is something simple.

4. i3ear

i3ear

Aug 26, 2007
    Stayton OR
    Whell I dunno if I can or not but this was on the second page...

5. i3ear

i3ear

Aug 26, 2007
    Stayton OR
    To admins, I am new here and I haven't lurked alot, so if you can think of a better place for this thread, please tell me or move it or something!