Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junkstuff1, Dec 4, 2004.

1. junkstuff1

junkstuff1

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi. My amp has been making this really odd sound lately. It's like the sound of wind...when it's really windy. I think I've narrowed it down to somewhere between the gain and EQ in my preamp because 1) It's there when I set the gain to 0, 2) I can EQ it out if I set all the EQ sliders to 0, and 3) I can make it stop by turning the master to 0. It's a Groove Tubes preamp from the early 90's, if that helps at all. Basically the same thing as the SWR 220 preamp, I believe.

Any ideas on what this might be and how I might fix it? Has anybody had this problem before?

2. Offhand, it sounds as if a component(s) has gone bad (not just a pot or a jack, etc.). If that's the case you'll need a qualified electronics technician to troubleshoot it. Also, he will need a schematic diagram to streamline the troubleshooting process.

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    How long have you had the amp? I would recommend changing the tubes. I've heard some things about GrooveTubes doing this sort of thing.

EDIT: My Aggie DB359 was retubed with GrooveTubes by one of its prior owners. I'm saving up to retube it. That noise just drives me crazy.

4. Yep. If it has tubes that's the first thing to try.

5. junkstuff1

junkstuff1

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks. I've had it for about a year. I changed the tube soon after I got it, so that's about a year old too.

I was afraid it might be a component failure...but I'll try the tube first.

6. You would be surprised at what a tube could fix.
    They do weird things sometimes.