Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy bass. How much to fix or DIY.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by odie, Oct 8, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have a Modulus Q5, EMG pups and EMG pre. To cut to the chase it is. NOISY
    Has more hiss than I would like to have. I have changed the batteries , checked for obvious problems. But everything appears ok. It is not shielded. It may have some spray in shielding but not much.

I was debating about taking it to a shop and have them look at it. I thought about changing the jack and trying to shield it myself. But I want it to be done right.

How much should it cost, or should I try something??

By the way I have swapped pups before but that is about it in regards to electronics repair.

Thanx

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Odie, I have a similar problem in my EMG loaded P-Bass (EMG P pups w/BTC controll). My noise is a high end hiss, like when a tweter on a cab is on too high. I've gotten some of the noise out by just adjusting the treble knob. On the preamp it has adjustments for the treble, and that's my next step to see if I can't correct it.

I guess I'm saying check the pre to see if it has adjustments. It may help, may not, but couldn't hurt.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I will check that. Im new to the EMG preamps, so Im not surewhat is a "normal setting". I do find that I turn down the treble more often the turning it up. T

Thanx!!:D

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Is that Bass noisey in other amps, and at the same time are other Basses noisey in that amp?

Im just trying to narrow it down to one or the other before you tear either one apart or send either out for service.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I'll break it down.

Eden rig Wt-400, 4-10 xlt.- Fender Deluxe, Modulus:
    Sometimes pretty quite, other times high end hiss. From both basses.
    Practice place doesnt have good grounded power outlets.

Using a ODB3 distortion pedal makes it almost unbearable .

Crate P.O.S. pratice amp. Good grounded power outlets.
    Fender Deluxe- Next to no noise when flat, some hiss when turned up.

Modulus- some hiss set flat, even more hiss when treble turned up. Less hiss overall.

One thing I could do is turn down the horn on the cab(eden). Im not even sure howhigh to turn these up. Lat I looked it is at 1 o'clock.

6. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Any difference in hiss when flipping the "ground lift" switch, if you have one?

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I leave mine off, there is no "right way" to set 'em.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Mike- My favorite gear head!!:D Nope no benefit with ground lift. What does that thing do any way?? I always thought it was for DI's or lines out.

Man you have bailed me out with the car now you may bail out of the car.

stubi19-will try turning the horn down to see if that helps.

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Not sure of the exact function of that switch.
    I do know that in the last house I lived in (that didnt have grounded outlets) I could reduce or increase the noise of the amp (Peavey Mark VI) by flipping that switch back and forth.

Can anyone else shed some light on what exactly the "ground lift" function does?

10. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I THINK it effectively removes one of the prongs in the XLR cables. One of them is a ground connection, so when you flip it, it just stops using it or something. I think. At least, that's my impression of it. I dunno if it really helps your sound through the amp though, since I think it only does the DI send. But maybe it does?? Can't tell you for sure.