Noisy Danelectro Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I've got a DC-Pro bass. The tone absolutely kills for majority of the rock/pop that my band does, especially with TI Flats. Only thing that really irritates me is the directional hum especially when I'm very close to my amp. This problem gets worse in certain rooms.

I'm sure it's the pickups, but I don't want to change them because I like the sound. Is there any way to remedy or at least reduce this problem?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

do a search on shielding and read through that stuff. I've never had much luck with it but many have. You can shield the control bay, pup cavity, and run ground wires to the pups. Probably insulated ground wires if they're not already would be preferred. Don't know that bass as to whether it has lipstick singles in it or what but if they're HB's they shouldn't hum. Double check grounds and the bridge with a meter. The usual. Some cheap pots can make a racket but I really wouldn't count on that for the remedy as I had both and no problem with either.

Not uncommon at all to get racket when you get within a couple feet of the front of the amp/cab. One guy actually complained for days about a newly acquired bass feeding back and he couldn't figure out the problem - until he finally stepped away from the face of the amp. There's all kind of wierd junk floating around you can't see that jacks with electronics. Some rooms or building are like containers of the stuff. Sometimes shutting a bass up in a given location is a lot like adjusting an antennae to pull in a weak radio signal: stand up, sit down, angle this way, that, swap sockets - whatever.

If nothing else, once it's shielded, it's done and you won't be wondering if that would fix it. Better to do and know than vegetate and wonder.
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have he DC bass myself and also with TI flats. Sounds very good for some things. Yes, the single pickup noise can get bad. I don't think shielding will help all that much. Humbucking pickups will but will change the sound and require routing out the pickup cavities. For me, it's not worth it for such an inexpensive bass. It might be for you if you think it's worth it. But you will lose some of that unique sound.

I thought of putting a pair of Bill Lawrence pickups in mine until I calculated the cost, the routing involved, the re-wiring (that things a rat's nest inside) and the long wait for the pickups.

But I keep the bass because it's fun to play sometimes and light as a feather. Also, the neck is better than many $1000 basses i've tried.
  4. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Since danelectro used pretty much the same pickups in every guitar and bass, the DC bass pickups are singles. They do sound good though!

I worked with a girl who had a longhorn bass with the same pickups and it was always quiet.

You might try a DI box with a ground lift, or maybe one of those EB Tech hum eliminators.

And shielding might help as well.

I have a DC3 guitar and it's noisy as hell next to my pc but was always quite when I used it on stage.
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Try this site for everything you'd ever want to know about shielding. FWIW, my Jerry Jones Longhorn isn't totally quiet, but with care about fluorescent lights and my position in relation to the amp, it does very well. A small price to pay for a great single coil sound.
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I totally agree. The neck on that bass feels fantastic. It's actually my main gigging bass, the other 2 being custom Jazz-type thingies. Cost aside, I wouldn't want to change out the pickups either. I love that hollow grindy-boomy tone which really carries the bottom end of the band. The world's loudest doublebass in a sewage pipe!

And, it's sparkle silver. Chicks dig it!

P.S. the hum seems to be in varying degrees in different venues. The club we played at tonight; hum was hardly there unless the bass was smack up against my SWR 800. Then you would hear it. Oh well...voodoo...
  7. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Mine is also silver sparkle. What a great finish.

Yes, you can control the hum with proper placement in relation to the room. But, they are single coils and only hum cancel when at equal volume like a jazz bass. However, there are some interesting sounds with blending various amounts of each pickup as well as each tone control.

With TI flats and a bit of foam muting under the strings at the bridge you can get a very upright like sound.

The wooden saddle on the bridge also contributes to that unique sound.

And it sure is easy to play.
  8. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    It's funny how all the little quirks about the bass which were originally designed as cost-cutting measures turn out to be key factors in the sound. One of my friends had the all-metal intonating bridge sold by Allparts on his DC Bass. While it would now intonate properly, that characteristic thump was now gone, because I think the metal transmitted a bit too much vibration.

He eventually went back to the rosewood saddle. I'm just waiting for the next band to make it big with Dano's and see them all over magazines and tv again.
  9. CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Rise from the grave and do my bidding Dano thread!
    I just looked at my Dano DC to attempt a shield, but I don't even know how I would go about it - that cavity doesn't open up! If I could get the pickups out, I might be able to get some shielding tape around the holes they come up through, but it would be pretty minimal at best.
    I guess my reason for resurrecting this thread is to ask: does localized shielding just around the pickups help, or is that too little to be worth it?
  10. Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    The Danelectro "lipstick" pickups are ALREADY surrounded by a grounded metal shield. I don't think there's any additional shielding to be done. In any case, I'm sure the hollow interior of the bass can be accessed by removing the pickguard/control plate thingy. If you wanted to do an OCD shielding job, you could purchase shielded wire and pot shielding cans, and perhaps line the whole interior with copper foil.

My single coil hum issues (on guitar) were horrible at one house where I lived. So I did the full shielding job on my strat, and it only reduced the hum a little bit. Then we moved to a different house and the noise from my single-coil guitars was MUCH less, I attribute the difference to GROUNDED wall outlets vs. ungrounded outlets at my old place. Make sure your amp's power outlet is grounded.