Noisy Demeter vs. Avalon: Advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrandonS, Jun 17, 2002.

1. BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    I own a demeter VTBP-201S, the new 1 rack space model. I absolutley love the tone. However, since I play an F-bass, which has a low output, i am forced to increase the gain in the demeter to about 75% (3'oclock) which creates a lot of undesirable hissing. I tried boosting the internal trim knob inside the unit but it didn't help with the hissing problem.

When I run the preamp direct (flat) my signal is totally quiet so I am guessing that the preamp's tube or eq section is creating the hissing. This has caused me to look for another unit to replace it. I was looking at the Avalon U5 direct box. Does anyone think this unit would be able to give me enough gain with my Fbass without creating a lot of noise?

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ? I think you may have some pre-amp (or even pickup hight) issues with the F-bass...I've never heard of F basses have really low output...
  3. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area

The output of my fretted Fbass is also very, very low...lower than my passive fretless Fbass in fact.

Are you using the passive or active input on the Demeter? The output of the Fbass might be too low for the active input. I always use the passive input when I use my Fbass but I still have to run the preamp gain on my SM900 at about halfway. I haven't heard any unusual hissing other than the normal, low level HF tweeter hiss from my SWR and Bergantino cabs.

It sounds like it's the Demeter that's at fault, but test the bass as well in different amps, mixers etc.. to make sure it's not the bass that's causing the hiss.

While you're at it, definitely fire off an e-mail to the guys at Fbass with your concerns, they're really good about responding to questions. Ask 'em about the output of the bass is, if the hiss could be coming from the bass, etc...

I've never played with an Avalon so I can't help you there.

(I think the internal trim control on the Demeter is for adjusting the output of the preamp...from the Demeter site: "Internal Volume Trimmer: This control is designed to match the output volume of the Tube Bass Preamplifier with the input sensitivity of any power amplifier.")

Let us know what you find out.

4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Learn something new everyday, I guess. Woner why such good basses would have such low ouput though...
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    have you tried the dem with a differnet power amp? could be just that. with my stewart, its as quiet as a mouse. also, have you tried using a different bass? is the F making the hiss? cause the bass is passive, you could try using a preamp pedal like the Fodera, Sadowsky, etc.