Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy DI on iAmp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ole Jason, Apr 22, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I just got my iAmp350 today. The cab won't be arriving until tomorrow sometime. I ran a cord from the DI out to the mic in on my soundcard. I had to turn the DI level all the way to 10 to even hear it and it was VERY noisy. I know it's not all the soundcard's fault cause I have no problems running my v-amp the same way. Could the cord be at fault? It came off a microphone and isn't noisy when I use the microphone straight into the soundcard.

Also, I'm not getting any sound when I run a cord from the 'phones' jack into the mic in. Do I need to use speaker cable for this? I get sound when I use the tuner out. :meh: ugh.

2. tomg

tomg

Mar 15, 2004
    brooklyn
    OJ-

Where is your input level set? You shouldn't need to crank the DI level, especially into a mic level input. On my iamp 350, I run the input gain pretty high, and the DI barely cracked. This gives me plenty of level with no noticeable noise. If I back the input down to 1 or 2, I have to raise the DI level, and can hear hiss increase as I do, but this seems pretty normal.

I'm not sure about the phones out issue, but that's just a workaround anyway, right?

-Tom

3. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks that seemed to help. I also think my pickups are a little too 'cold' for the level I had my speakers set to as well. I plugged one of my guitars into it, which has really hot pickups, and it was plenty loud with just barely touching the DI level.