1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noisy fan

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paulcorboy, Dec 19, 2018.

1. paulcorboy

paulcorboy

Jan 8, 2016
    I have a Laney RB7 Amp and the fan is quite noisy. I have had it looked at and am told that the level of noise is "quite normal". My question is: can I disconnect the fan altogether? I don't use it to play gigs as I have recently bought a Fender Rumble 200 mostly because it is way lighter - pun intended. I don't play in paid gigs any more. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Paul, from way down South - New Zealand!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I wouldn't, unless you are fond of repairs.

3. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I guarantee you'll expire that thing if you run it long and hard (as in normal) without a fan. If I had to guess, the fan's form factor is similar to a lot of computer fans.

4. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    One of my class D heads that shall not be named has a fan that runs at the same speed regardless of difficulty of requested load or the ongoing duration of said load. This is a design decision and as much as it irritates me, I am sure not going to secondguess the EEs and other techs who put the thing together by disconnecting the fan header. I just don't bring that particular head out for low volume or studio situations. It's fine in live contexts.

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    What could possibly go wrong? A0BA4243-5A23-4529-9EFD-390749703515.

okcrum and agedhorse like this.
  6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    You may not have to run it long and hard either, some amp topologies and some stages within an amp may produce more heat with less load (depending on the specific amp design).

okcrum and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I know about as much as @agedhorse learned by 9 AM today.

But modern replacement fans might be significantly cooler, and that might be the cheapest thing to try.
    Blade technology evolves. As do fan bearings. But leaving it in? Probably a GOOD idea.

EDIT: I meant QUIETER but both might be true, IMHO

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Without considering air flow versus static pressure of a fan, it's a wild ass guess. I'm not convinced that trying the cheapest thing is a good idea unless your service guy needs a little extra money...

okcrum, BassmanPaul and nbsipics like this.
  9. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I clicked on this thread thinking I'd read a funny story about an obnoxious audience member. Oh well.

lossfizzle, zoonose, murmur70 and 7 others like this.
  10. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Same, my literal first thought upon seeing the title.

We may play too many bar gigs

Element Zero and Inky13 like this.
  11. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I'm sorry, but this is driving me crazy. What is the pun?

12. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    you could try opening the unit and clean/vacuum the fan of all the dust....loosen and then re-tighten all fan screws/connection points....I do this about every 6 months to my Orange head...makes a noticeable improvement in the overall fan volume

wizerd and saabfender like this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    You can try to find a replacement "silent" fan... there are a bunch of computer fans on the market now that have noise ratings as low as 16dBA. With any luck you can find one in the same physical size, airflow, and voltage rating.

example - ENERMAX - Product

wizerd likes this.
  14. The fan is there for a reason. Either live with it or replace the fan.

I can't find a pun either.

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  15. paulcorboy

paulcorboy

Jan 8, 2016
    the pun - way/weigh. Get it?

JRA and FunkHead like this.
  16. paulcorboy

paulcorboy

Jan 8, 2016
    Many thanks to those of you who took the trouble to reply and advise. I shall certainly NOT disconnect it. I shall however try to find a replacement fan. And no, the pun woasn't on the word fan, but perhaps it should have been. Cheers all, and have a safe and Merry Christmas. Paul.

zoonose likes this.
  17. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I had a Mac Pro tower that had something like a jillion fans in it.
    It sounded like a MaCormic wheat thresher trying to take off.

12BitSlab likes this.
  18. tchristian

tchristian Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Missoula, MT
    I had a noisy fan. He kept yelling up at me midset that he was a helluva spoons player and he should be onstage right f@#$'n NOW.

Pilgrim, mikewalker and Inky13 like this.
  19. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    If you can find a quieter fan with close to the same air flow (CFM), static pressure (inches of H2O), power consumption (important for DC fans), and the SAME size/shape/mounting, and want to swap it in, you can do that. Otherwise, it's better to live with it, unless the fan is worn out. Then you just replace it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I dunno. By all accounts, @agedhorse isn't worth a crap before 10:00a.m. Besides, he's on the West coast. So most of us are done with our day before he's had his coffee. So for a few minutes a day we might could hang with him. :D

In all seriousness @paulcorboy I wouldn't disconnect the fan.

nbsipics, agedhorse and Inky13 like this.