Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noisy fender update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobaloo, Sep 1, 2001.

1. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    This is an update on an earlier thread on my new fender amdelux J V. It developed a nasty hum after 6 weeks of use. Took the bass to my local repair shop. The tech showed me how Fender now grounds everything to an eyelet and then it is seated between the pot and plate. It looked pretty low qual. He removed it and soldered the ground wires. Problem solved. I am now on the expensive quest for a string I like. The OEM's weren't that bad. The tech suggested some Ken Smith's which I didn't like. Got some Boomers on now, not too bad but not The Ones. I just got some DR Lo-riders that are going on next.

2. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I got my American Deluxe Jazz V in 1998 and have not had any electrical problems with it yet. I have been very pleased with it thus far.

As far as strings go, the best sounding set I've had on my jazz bass was stainless steel DR Low Riders. They have an even, crisp sound from string to string and the B is pretty tight. I think you will enjoy them.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If it's active, take into consideration that some basses get noisey when their batteries start to go. :)

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    what exactly did the tech solder it to? I am having similar problems. Was it the bridge? Something connected to the paint on the control cavity?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

CE, he already said that the source of the hum was found and fixed.:rolleyes:

6. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    Thanks for your replies. The DR Lo-Riders/stainless are the ones I got, I'm looking forward to putting them on.
    I believe he said he soldered directly to the volume pot although he said this can be tricky to not get it overheated. I'm not 100% sure about this but I can call and ask him if you'd like.

7. What genius at Fender thought of that brilliant idea? Great quality and innovation there!

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It's still a good thing to know. So when something like that happens he doesn't get all confused, and spend the money taking it to a tech when $5 on batteries'll fix it. :rolleyes:

9. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    "What genius at Fender thought of that brilliant idea? Great quality and innovation there!"

I love this stuff. :^>)

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

10. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    FWIW I replaced the battery before I tried anything else.