Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobaloo, Aug 26, 2001.

1. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    Got a new Fender American Jazz Deluxe V 2 months ago. Been pretty happy with it until last week I noticed a distinct hum that goes away whenever I touch anything metal on the bass. It seems to be coming from the bridge pickup only. The only thing that may have caused it that I can think of is that while practicing, I stepped on my cord and yanked it out of the input jack. I didn't go into it due to warranty concerns. Any ideas out there? Also, any suggestions as to aftermarket pickups, bridges, strings, etc?

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    That sounds like a sheilding problem. Does the bass crackle as well when you are not touching the strings?

3. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    No, just a 60Hz hum. When I touch anything metal on the bass it goes away-WITH the exception of the screws holding the bridge p/u. When I touch those without touching the strings the hum intensifies. Also, when I turn the blend pot to all neck it goes away.

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thats a strange problem your are having there, and it is out of my depth. :( It does seem that there is a problem with your bridge pickup. Maybe there is a problem with the way the pickups are wired. Or, the input jack could have come slighlty loose, and could be the cause of your troubles.

I am sure some of the more knowlogble talkbass members will help out soon.

Take it to a local guitar tech if you can. You could lie about stepping on the cord if your are worry about the warrenty.