1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noisy Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobaloo, Aug 26, 2001.

1. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    Got a new Fender American Jazz Deluxe V 2 months ago. Been pretty happy with it until last week I noticed a distinct hum that goes away whenever I touch anything metal on the bass. It seems to be coming from the bridge pickup only. The only thing that may have caused it that I can think of is that while practicing, I stepped on my cord and yanked it out of the input jack. I didn't go into it due to warranty concerns. Any ideas out there? Also, any suggestions as to aftermarket pickups, bridges, strings, etc?

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    That sounds like a sheilding problem. Does the bass crackle as well when you are not touching the strings?

3. bobaloo

bobaloo

Aug 26, 2001
    Newport News, Va.
    No, just a 60Hz hum. When I touch anything metal on the bass it goes away-WITH the exception of the screws holding the bridge p/u. When I touch those without touching the strings the hum intensifies. Also, when I turn the blend pot to all neck it goes away.

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thats a strange problem your are having there, and it is out of my depth. :( It does seem that there is a problem with your bridge pickup. Maybe there is a problem with the way the pickups are wired. Or, the input jack could have come slighlty loose, and could be the cause of your troubles.

I am sure some of the more knowlogble talkbass members will help out soon.

Take it to a local guitar tech if you can. You could lie about stepping on the cord if your are worry about the warrenty.