Noisy FMT Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rayzak, Oct 12, 2004.

1. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey all, haven't been around here much lately. Hope all is well. But, I need your help.
    I recently sold my Fender FMT JazzV on E-bay. Got the price I was hoping and everything seemed peachy. The buyer recieved the bass and was very happy with it structurally, but took it to a gig the next day and said the electronics were so loud, he couldn't use it. Took it to his tech who told him it could possibly be something wrong with the pre-amp or possibly a bad pickup. He's now probably gonna send it back for a refund :crying:, which i'll do. I obviously didn't intend to sell him a faulty bass. I've never noticed any overly loud noise, but i've never gigged out with it either.
    So, if his tech is correct, could this be a very expensive repair? Is their anything else which could be causing this (it's not the batteries, by the way), he put brand new ones in it.
    I'm just really upset. Any input is greatly appreciated.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hard to guess without actually having the thing in hand, but one thing I've seen happen before is that wiring--including grounding wires--can get jarred loose if the box gets bounced around during shipping.

Seems like the kind of thing a tech would be able to pick up on fairly easily, but if the guy can't distinguish between a possible problem with the preamp vs. one of the pickups, I don't hold out much hope for your buyer's tech's troubleshooting skills.