Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy G&L L 2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1954bassman, Jun 7, 2004.

1. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    This is my first visit to TALKBASS. I recently bought a G&L L 2500. I love the bass, it is a knock-out and the sound kills. The slight problem I have is pickup noise. My other basses have EMG's on them and are noiseless. I play mainly in churches, and at my home church I play throught an Eden Time Travelre. There is something in the electrical wiring (a dimmer?) that causes the slight buzz in my G&L to become quite loud. I have to roll the volume all the way off while not playing. I have already repaired a ground problem on this guitar. Here are some previous suggestions:

1. Control cavity foil
    2. HUSH
    3. Noise gate

Anybody else out there with noisy G&L's?
    The G&L factory guy says:"Yeah, our pick ups are noisy, but they are some of the quietest ones out there."

deBassMan

2. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    That sucks! Mine is fine, no hum at all. That would drive me crazy though. Best of luck finding the problem. I love my L2500.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Is the hum when you are in series mode? Middle switch up towards neck? Mine does the same thing. If you switch into parallel mode it goes away. nature of the beast I guess. I even tried installing a new pre amp chip to see if it helped but it didn't. So far nobody (including soundman) notices the buzz. You could always switch to parallel mode in between songs.

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    :help:
    My bad, I guess. I really have more of a buzz. Not bad in my studio or through my GK, but unbearable at church through my Eden rig. I have a bad hum to start with, but it turned out to be the ground wire under the bridge, which could be the problem you are having. If the rascal didn't sound so good, I would just slap some 40dc's in there and go noiseless EMGville.

deBassMan