1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noisy geddy bass,

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phall2112, Apr 19, 2009.

1. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    Just took my GL to a shop to make shure it was wired right. Because its noisy as crap. The pickups with both on full DON NOT cancel the hum. So any ideas on the best replacement pickups that are quiet? but still sound good? ive already done a search and so far the fav is dimarzios model j but i dont like the black pole pieces. any ideas?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Maybe pickups arent the best bet. Wait and see if there was a wire loose, or maybe the tech can shield the bass's cavity for you.

My Geddy doesnt hum at all.

3. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I have my Geddy shielded and it's quiet..dead quiet with both stock pickups full. By the way I have a Warmoth jazz with the Dimarzio Model J's..don't use them just because the poles pieces are black..they are great pickups.

4. Sounds like you might have a loose ground wire or one that's not making good contact with the bridge. Easy fix and can make a big difference.

5. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    the tech had it out for about 45 minutes. checked everything and couldnt find a problem. i would hate to buy new pickups and the darn things hum 2. when it comes to electronics im a moron. so i have to trust him, but something has to be wrong somewhere.

6. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    may look into getting it shielded.

7. Does it hum the same with different amps/cords/electrical source?

8. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I agree with Eaglemoon. Move your amp to a different plug directly connected into the pwer source of your home/apt. In my bedroom both of my basses hum because they are going through so many different plugs, connectors,etc. but when moved to my basement or living room there is no hum..

Look into getting it shielded, also. I am going to some time soon.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    look for a cold solder joint.

10. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    i have played this bass through 2 diffirent rigs. (actually got rid of one because i thought it was the problem.) In several diffirent bars and practice rooms for about 3 years. there was only one bar in town where it didnt hum. Would a Hum X work?

11. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    What amp are you using, have you tested the guitar with another amp, or the amp with a different guitar? Are you using guitar cable for your speaker cable? My friend had a major noise issue with a strat. Turned out his amp was plugged into the same line as his dog wire transformer, and that was it.

12. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Oh.. this puts my theory down.

What about shielding first. If that doesnt fix it, get new pups.

13. I'd have a different tech look at it. There's got to be something going on in there.

14. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    Gonna take to RS guitarworks. They have a good list of players that trust them.

15. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Good idea. Its definitely a great bass, I know from experience.

The stock pups are nice too, IMO. I hope its something simple!

16. ive never known a geddy to inherently make noise.. im with them ^^^ something has gone wrong in there.

a hum X is never a good idea. anything that bypasses ground just makes everything dangerous. if theres a polarity or ground lift on your amp, try that.

17. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If you can find one, put a compass to each of the pickups and see if the same end of the magnetic needle points towards each of the pickups. If it does, one of the pickups will need servicing, as they're supposed to have opposing polarities.

18. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    This sounds like the problem. Check this out:

19. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Exactly the vid I wanted to link to, just couldn't find it. Thumbs up. :smug:

20. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I had the same problem with my SX SJB-75 as the OP. I banged my head against the wall until I stumbled upon the vid. Interestingly enough, I ended up buying a used set of jazz pickups off a Geddy Lee bass for next to nothing and installed the neck pickup only. It was in phase with the stock SX bridge pickup. I had already shielded the bass so when all was said and done, my bass was and is still quiet as a mouse as long as both volume controls are at equal levels.

First thing I do now when a friend brings over a bass with a humming issue is break out my trusty compass. If both pups are in phase, then I check the grounding next. If that proves to be good, then I go ahead and shield the thing and all is well.