1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

noisy Gibson T-Bird

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Mar 22, 2009.

1. I have an 07 Gibson T-Bird that I bought brand new, its stock and sounds great except that it's noisy, picks up lights etc. It's wired correctly as far as I can see, everything is grounded including the bridge. I have heard that some of these were noisy, it's got TB+ pickups in it. This thing is much noisier than my P bass and even my Ricks and EB-3. So does anyone have any experience with these basses and have a solution for this? I'll buy new TB+ pickups if they will be quiet as I love the sound of them but obviously don't want to if they're all noisy. It is not a hum it is a wierd buzz, it does not sound like it is ungrounded and it doesn't do this unless there are lights, neon and stage lighting effects it. I did not expect humbucking pickups to be noisy at all, is very surprising.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Get a sheet of very thin copper shielding with electrically conductive adhesive, a pair of scissors and a razor knife will do a lot in cutting the hum, buzz, whatever noise. It must be grounded like the Bridge etc..
    This is available from several sources such as guitar parts resource, WD Music and Stewmac.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    There are two types of interference. The lower pitched hum, and the high pitched buzz. Humbuckers get rid of the hum, but they don't work against the high pitched buzz. For that you need electrostatic shielding.

So the grounded copper foil is a good way to go.

All my humbuckers are fully shielded for just this reason. It's also a good idea to have any metal parts of the pickup, such as pole pieces to be grounded.

4. I have shielded basses in the past particularly when playing a Rickenbacker in stereo without using Ric-O-sound, but can't understand why these pickups are more noisy than single coils. I have had several Gibson's in the past with humbuckers and they were almost completely silent. This noise is almost between a hum and a buzz, it doesn't sound like a single coil buzz, it's more complex and doesn't sound like a hum either which I have only very rarely gotten even with single coils. I feel there is something wrong somewhere, I have heard that TB+ pickups were sometimes noisy but didn't expect this.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    My guess is they didn't ground the magnets or pole pieces in the pickups. Then the metal parts pick up hum just like your strings would if they aren't grounded.

The fact that some of the T-bird pickups do it, while others don't sounds like they figured out the problem and changed the construction method.

It might be some of the other wiring in the bass too.

6. Yeah, it's strange, I'm going to go to GC and see if any of the salespeople there know anything about it, also see how much new pickups for it cost, I'd rather not go aftermarket, I like to keep things original. But... I know Bartolini makes some, know anything about those?

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have the EXACT same problem with my Gibby Tbird. I mean...exact...you described it to a "T".

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My TB+ equipped TBird was silent. I mean, dead silent. Do you have any warranty left? Something ain't right there, and I'd be lookin' for a free fix if'n I were you. Hope you get it sorted, and +1, those are some great souning, meaty pick ups on that bass.

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    This has been a nagging problem with Tbirds. I would contact a Gibson representive to replace the pickups free, that what others have done.

10. Salvatore'sLady

Salvatore'sLady

Jul 31, 2009
    Friend 'o mine just did that, actually. Great customer service, problem solved. Good lookin' bass, if I do say so myself.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just contacted Gibson....I'll let ya'll know what happens.

Barry

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Typically they stand behind their products no questions, but if they no longer make the bass your out of luck and do not sell any aftermarket bass parts to the public.

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've tried twice now.....no response (I guess I just need more patience ;-)

-B-