Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy neighbors

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 17, 2002.

1. For the third night out of five, the girl upstairs is having insanely wild sex, if the screaming and the shaking floorboards are anything by which to go.

Would it be rude of me to write her a little note asking her to keep it down? There's no soundproofing in my building and while I'm very much awake right now it might be problematic tomorrow given that I have an exam on Wednesday and would like to get to bed at a God-fearing hour.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ask if she'll share?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry, Pete. I'll tell her to keep it down next time :D

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You know you could make money by taping the mad/wild sex noises, then set up a premium rate phoneline that people can phone up at a very high rate using the tape as a message and cash in big time on your noisy neighbour!;)

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :D

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Before you do anything else, talk to her guy, and find out exactly what he is doing...;)

7. you could call the cops saying there's a guy beating his girlfriend upstairs... after a couple of embarassing interuptions like that, they'll figure out how to play quieter! :p

8. why not use it to your advantage. Stick up a few flyers inviting people round and charge them admission.

If you're going to suffer sleepness nights and jeapordise your education,etc... you might as well make some money at the same time :)

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    it's one of 2 things

a challenge

or

an invitiation!:eek:

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    FBB custom 5 #1046-01, FBB fretless 4 #028-00, EBS Fafner, Acoustic Image Clarus, Aguilar GS112 (2x), Akai Intelliphase, Akai Tune Lock

You own this stuff and they are annoying you?

My neighbour played his hifi loud once.

11. I had the same problem at my old place, I don't think it was because the guy had some great style I think it was because the ugly pig was so excited that someone was there.

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    :D

13. Loudly coach her on.

"Go baby go."

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

now THAT'S the ticket! the people who live above me learned not to play their stereos loud bumping booty music at 2am after they experienced 1000watts thru a goliath senior. almost caved the damn place in :D

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :D

Leaving notes pisses people off. If you are going to address it with her, talk to her.

16. I do try to be reasonably considerate. Dropping the low B bomb is hardly a precision weapon--if I play too loudly, I get heard through the whole building.

17. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    are you speaking from personal experience? :eek:

18. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I use a lot of those disposable yellow ear plugs. They block something like 35 db. Very effective. However, you need to crank up your alarm clock. They usually fall out while sleeping, but occasionally one stay in.

Something as potentially embarassing as this would probably best be addressed with utmost tact.

It was a wise observation that notes, however gentle, contain the potential to offend.

I don't think the B-bomb would be wise as low frequencies disperse.

And I don't think post-coital taps on the ceiling convey your frustrattion with the matter.

So, perhaps a face-to-face discussion alluding to sound transparency would be in order.

rs

19. maybe they thought you were a drummer:p