Noisy new Area J's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by grandpaslab, Jul 20, 2018.

1. grandpaslab

grandpaslab

Apr 29, 2010
    I just got done building a parts Jazz. Pickups are brand new DiMarzio Area J's. Wiring scheme is standard Fender. The neck pickup makes a ton of high pitched noise when it touch it--I'm not touching the polepieces or anything, just the pickup cover. Double checked the wiring. Tone is great, but the scratchy noise is unbearable--I rest my thumb on the neck pickup when playing, so there's no avoiding it. Anyone have any ideas? I mailed DiMarzio, no response after about a week.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, something else is going on.

is the jack wired backwards? is there shielding in the cavities and if so is it properly grounded?

3. grandpaslab

grandpaslab

Apr 29, 2010
    Jack is wired correctly. I added some shielding to see if it would make any difference, but it didn't. Shielding is grounded to the jack plate. I wouldn't expect shielding to help, since it's not a hum issue. It's really like the pickup itself is extremely microphonic, amplifying the tiniest touch. Gotta run now, but maybe I'll record the sound later.

017-225x300.jpg

4. grandpaslab

grandpaslab

Apr 29, 2010
    Here's what it sounds like. Open E for volume comparison. The sounds you hear between notes are my finger rubbing gently and tapping on the neck pickup cover.

5. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Time for a replacement pickup I think! It sounds broken. Your wiring looks fine.

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think you may have just been unlucky and received a bad pickup.

7. grandpaslab

grandpaslab

Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks guys! Guess I'll try calling DiMarzio on the phone.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 16, 2021