Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy pot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspro2, Jan 31, 2003.

1. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    I have a new mesa boogie walkabout and at times if you touch the 2k pot on the parametric eq it sounds noisy and crackles and somtimes pops by itself. this is the only one that does this,would this be a bad pot ? and do you think i could change it myself.. service is so far away?? Please any opinions

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Have you tried cleaning it?

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    and take the seeds out.

4. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    ya I did and it's still noisy, i'm just wondering if its bad. when i got the amp it didn't do this..It's just goes crazy and its only that one even if you just touch it with your finger..weird

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If cleaning it doesn't fix it, then the best thing to do is take it to an amp tech.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If cleaning it with TV tuner cleaner didn't work (tuner cleaner has a lubricant in it to prevent your pots from seizing), it might be an indication that there is DC on the pot caused by a capacitor (or similar) failing in the amp.

Sounds like a warranty issue and you'd be wise to stay out of the amp because you'd risk voiding your warranty.

Good luck!!!