Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy RBI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggett, Aug 9, 2005.

1. so i went to a shop today, and played a RBI. i loved the tones, but whenever the Drive or Level knobs where turned up passed 12:00 and the Active button was on, i would get nasty buzz from any cab i tried it with. big time bummer.

so was it just this unit? or am i sending too much gain to the cab?

2. bump

3. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    was the RBI brand new? Could be sending to much gain to the poweramp, not the cab? what poweramp was it running into?

My RBI has never made any nasty buzzes no matter where I set the LVL and GAIN... btw I usually run my DRV at about 11 oclock and my LVL at 1 oclock fwiw...

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I have two and have never had this problem. Did the cabinet have a horn? If so, shut it off or turn it all the way down.

5. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    I have my gain at 'bout 3 oclock. active pick-ups. no tweeter. and if i creep that presence past 9 oc. everything else at 12...here comes that hiss....no too bad, but it is a trebley pre. BUT I LOVE IT ANYWAYS!!! :hyper:

6. i think it was just clipping whatever amp it was going into

ive done that a fair few times with my BDDI, you gotta be careful with the levels on those things at times

7. bump.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never had any sort of unwanted hiss or buzz from my RBI.

Was the RBI plugged into the same circuit as the power amp? Maybe there's a ground problem between those units... or maybe fluorescent lights were causing buzz in the bass you were using... improperly shielded cable, maybe? Another possibility is that the RBI was defective, but I seriously doubt that.

9. the rbi was 'used' but it was 100% cosmetic condition, and i doubt anything inside was faulty. now that you bring it up, im pretty sure the ligths in the amp room where flourescent.

i didnt hook the unit up myself, but the store isnt a tech 21 dealer, but i mean, it cant be too difficult. rbi output to behringerep2500 input...

im going back in a few days and ill recheck. we tried two different cables and basses.

the same circuit as in, the same wall plug. if so then yes.

i only had a buzzing problem when the active button was on, and the drive or treble and level knobs were past 12'oclock.

thanks again.

10. for the guy who suggested clipping the power amp, the behringer has 2 led's beside each knob. we were running it in stereo, (but only 1 cab connected) and whenever i played the yellowey orangey light would come on. not the red one.

just further details.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Those knobs will boost noise inherent to the instrument and/or cable. Perhaps you could compare the RBI with other preamps... boost treble/presence/drive (or whatever's applicable) on the others to see if buzz is also present. If so, the problem doesn't lie with the RBI. Good luck!

12. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    turn the drive down........sounds like it was too high and making the overdrive sound.

14. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the "active" button should always be "on".

I get more buzzing when I have the "presence" turned up. try presence at minimum and treble as close to 12 o'clock as you can stand see if that helps,

also make sure tweeter on cab is not cranked up hot.