1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noisy saddles

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Willy25, Jun 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Willy25

Willy25

Jun 9, 2017
    hi guys, i have a problem that when i pluck the E string it makes this noise that i cant explain, like the annoying noise that a snare drum has when loud noise its made. Any tips on how to fix this? Thanks

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Looking for noise sources is like looking for a cricket...I swear they're frickin' ventriloquists. What you think you're hearing at the bridge may actually be emanating at the headstock.

Riis

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Snares and springs are similar. Pluck the string. Mute the spring. If that fixes it:
    1. Remove the saddle assembly.
    2. Stretch the spring so that it is longer than the shaft of the intonation screw when the saddle is set properly.
    3. Reinstall everything.
    4. Play.

Lownote38, RSBBass and sissy kathy like this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    It may be one of the other springs. Check them all.

Lownote38 and RSBBass like this.
  5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    You're right. Good point.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's funny.

And it's true.

Before doing anything I'd hold each of the tuning keys to make certain it's not emanating from there. A broken machine head can sound like it's coming from a lot of different places. Even an experienced tech I know did some work on a friends truss rod once, not knowing the rattle was coming from a tuner. I've had it happen twice to me, too. And I also had a bridge that buzzed on a Fender VI. Was never able to remedy that though.

7. Willy25

Willy25

Jun 9, 2017
    Thanks for the help guys. Im going to look into that

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I would also insure that both "feet" of the saddle are in full contact with the bridge back plate. I've seen that cause odd vibration before as well.

Lownote38 and Zooberwerx like this.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full contact and the saddles should be parallel to the base plate. Tilting the saddles to follow fretboard radius is a no-no.

Riis

Lownote38 likes this.