Noisy Sansamp B.D.D.I.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Yenko, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Yenko

Yenko

Oct 30, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    I recently acquired a Sansamp Bass Driver D.I., and it's incredibly noisy (hissing) if I turn up the Drive setting above about 25%. Anyone else had this experience with this pedal? Is this normal?

My bass is an Ibanez EDB700, which has active pups. The noise all seems to come from the Sansamp, as the noise is present whether I'm playing or not, and its volume remains consistent regardless of the volume setting on my bass. It also doesn't seem to be my amp, as I've plugged the Sansamp into a mixing board via XLR, and the noise is there too.

Anybody think I have a defective unit, or is this thing just noisy? I've read and heard so many good things about this unit that I'm kinda surprised about the noise.

2. what are the other settings? more drive will make things somewhat noisier if you have some extreme settings or a little noise somewhere before it on the chain. but they are not super noisy boxes.

fwiw I use mine w/ a passive P and a LMII and I never hear noise...but I don't use it for distortion, just a little hair around the edges (at most) and for it's vibe

I'd e-mail Lloyd over at their CS - he is super cool and will respond quick!

3. Yenko

Yenko

Oct 30, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Actually, now that I play with it a little more it seems to be a combination of settings that create the noise. Blend, Level, and Drive all add noise to the mix. I need to mess with it more and see what I can get out of it.

There's nothing in the chain before or after it...just bass, Sansamp, and amp.

Thanks for the tip about contacting Lloyd. If I can't get some satisfactory tones out of it I'll shoot him an email.

4. try some of the sample settings on their site - these shouldn't be noisy.

5. Drive adds a ton of noise. Remember those knobs are active, so getting a decent EQ setting takes a little patience. I spend time fairly often adjusting my tone.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021