Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noisy squier jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sober, Jan 22, 2005.

1. sober

sober

Jan 22, 2005
    Hi, i am new here, play drums and some guitar, but relatively new to playing bass. I just bought a new standard squier jazz bass for recording purposes mainly, (i went with squier instead of fender b/c i don't have any extra cash either) but when i plugged it into my computer the e string had to be muted at all times it was so noisy. is this normal for squiers? what are my options? i had to order it so couldn't try out a bunch of them as i've seen recommended. is fender support supportive at all? i couldn't even find an email address for them on the squier support page.....thanks for any input!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You need to get yourself an amp, or a pedal that is capable of putting out a proper line level signal. Behringer makes tiny mixers that are good for this. You might also check all your cables. You may have a grounding issue.

3. sober

sober

Jan 22, 2005
    actually, i forgot to mention, i played it through both a small and large bass amp, and am going through a line live input on my Aardvark Q10 soundcard into my computer. To 'control' my experiment, i also ran a cheapy (series 10) strat copy into all three of those above mentioned with very little noise. when i adjust the tone knob on the bass to the dark sound the noise is greatly reduced, and when i play the e string the noise goes away, until the string dies out--then the buzz is back with a vengence!

4. sober

sober

Jan 22, 2005
    anyone???

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You close to the monitor while you are recording? That's about the only thing I can figure, except for a grounding and/or shielding problem.