Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noisy SVP-PRO!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grungtertl, Feb 23, 2005.

1. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    my SVP-PRO is very noisy...

What can i do, its not the tubes they have fairily new ones in them, Electro Harmonix. I have it run from the output of the SVP-PRO to the input of my Gallien - Krueger 1001RB, and when i turn all the knobs off on the SVP its still really noisy.

Suggestions...?

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    The best bet is to do a quick search for svp pro or ampeg as this topic has been covered in several threads.
    A topic I watched closely as I have an SVP too!

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    If it's a read and blue one, there's a wiring issue

5. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    woh.. mine is.. whats the issue my phunkypants?

6. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    is there anything i can do about the wiring issue, ive heard that i can put it into my return in the effects loop as the input, or i could just put the whole preamp into the effects loop, this SVP PRO is an older model.

Dan

7. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Do run it into the line in or power amp input.

By running it to the instrument input, you put a device that has plenty of gain into an input that adds more gain.

You are adding the tones of both units together, too. All that is a recipe for extra noise.

It's designed to run a power amp directly, so it has high output.

Even with all the knobs down on the SVP-PRO, there is probably a last stage which isn't controlled by a volume control.

Plugged into a power amp, no problem. Plugged into another preamp, that just amplifies noise, and is hard to control.

Use the power amp input on the GK.

8. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    theres a power amp input on my GK 1001RB?

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It looks like the "return" of the "send/return" is a s close as you get. I looked up the manual at G-K, although it was for the 1001RBII. Hopefully they are the same.

If so, the connection point is at the right hand end of the 1001RB front panel in the "patch bay" area.

I agree, connect the SVP-PRO there. The reasons given are quite correct.

10. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    if i do this, am i bypassing the controls on my amp, or not? and i have things in the SVP-PRO's effects loop, is that still ok if i am running the Pro into the return of the GK?

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    As I read the GK block diagram, the only controls still active are those in the crossover if you go into the effect return on the GK.

You would come out of the main preamp out on the SVP-PRO, so all the controls and effect loops etc in the SVP-PRO would be operational.

I am assuming that you want to replace the GK pre with the SVP, and just use the GK power amp. That's what this connection should do

Also, remember, I only found info on the GK , a 1001RBII manual I got from the GK site, so maybe yours is slightly different because it is a "1001RB", not an "RBII". I don't keep up on application info on all the equipment there is.......

12. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    ok thanks, if that doesnt work i will tell you

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    uhmmm...I'm not really sure about running that preamp into an 1001RB. First of all, what's wrong with the GK sound? If you want an Ampeg sound, trade the GK for a power amp.

But I wanted to point out that my svp, when I got it, had E-H tubes I think these are horrible tubes for the svp. Search for Lord Valve's contact info and get his tubes. They work well with the svp when you use it into a power amp at least. Although, the svp will sound great live with these tubes, I still use a different pre for recording since the svp DI is still too noisy for recording.

Ed

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Well I don't know about "horrible"... but then again I haven't tried a full load of EH's. I only use one in the drive circuit and it sounds great for that role.

I tried a full set of LV's recommended NOS Chinese 12AX7 and sent them back. They made me think of one of those glass snowflake balls - like my bass was inside one of those. The sound was clear and not noisy, with some good tube "cushion", but overall very bland and mild with no gutpunch.

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    EH tubes are fine if you are going for gain. They run HOT HOT HOT. I've found they break up too soon for my taste.

16. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    What are good tubes?