1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noisy trimpots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I have a noisy trimpot on my squier vm jazz bass and it's really annoying at times, every time i turn my tone knob (clockwise or anti-clockwise) there is noise and it's like a scraping sound. I've heard about people resolving this with like compressed air or something but I've got no idea what I should do, I want to do everything I can before considering a replacement trimpot so give me what information you guys have and I'd be really greatful

Cheers

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

DeoxIT®, #D100S-2

Take off the control plate, center the pots, two shots inside each and work the pots back and forth rapidly.

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    That's just a 'pot'. isn't it? Trimpots are those little ones that you use to calibrate a circuit and then leave where they are...

Anyway, deoxit is a great suggestion if you can get it where you are.... but that might be more expensve than the pot...

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

True on the pot vs. trimpot. Deoxit is worth the 20 bucks though. It'll last forever, and you can use it to wipe your strings down with. No sticky residue, and a bit of lube. JimmyM recommends it. Best DeOxit price I found was on fleabay. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/deoxit-liven-up-strings-808553/
    DeoxIT® AxeWipes - String Wipes

5. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Cheers and sorry yes I meant a pot

6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Any other suggestions because I'm uk based and I don't think I'll be able to get that.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Go to an electronic supply house or repair shop and ask about contact cleaners. DeOxit seems to be used by most pro's & works best for me, but the UK will have something available for such a common problem/need.

8. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
  9. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I can only find the d5 would that do?

10. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I can only get the d5 in the uk will that do?

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

13. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Which deoxit should I use?

14. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    D5 has worked really well for everything I've used it on - I've lent it around work and guys say it has worked better than the contact cleaner you get at Maplin (that's the nearest us limeys have to radio shack now Tandy is no more)

Only think to be aware of is that it will wash away the lube on your pot, so it will 'go light' - they sell a separate lube for that, but that's starting to get into serious money.

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

That's why I use 100%: no solvent, the same active ingredient, and it lubes.

16. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Aha. Almost certainly the better option then.

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

18. I have found that often noisy pots can be cured simply by working it back and forth, back and forth, many times, and the noise will work itself out.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

True, but it also causes premature wear on the carbon traces of the pot, shortening is serviceable life span. Cleaning it with a proper product is best.