Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noisy xlr output, svt classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nobertos, Dec 14, 2004.

1. nobertos

nobertos

Nov 23, 2003
    i have a svt classic. when i go to clubs, they want to plug directly into my xlr out and into the house pa. it is really scratchy sounding? why? is this something i can easily fix? i usually have them use a di box instead, i use pedals anyway, so i want to get my wah in the mix etc. wouldn't it be left out (my pedal sound) if i used the xlr out anyway? or not?

also, sometimes after my amp has been on a really long time at really loud levels it will stop producing sound and the light by the on off switch will blink. if i turn the amp off, then back on it is usually fine. this has only happened in practices after it has been on for hours and loud loud volumes.

thanks!
    nobertos@yahoo.com

2. You may have a power tube going on you. check your manual. Also do you put it in standby when you are not playing through it? That will prolong tube life by allowing the tubes to stay warmed up but no high voltage will be going through them.

3. nobertos

nobertos

Nov 23, 2003
    yes, i put the amp in standby mode.

4. If the light is blinking between red and green then it is a bad power tube. You should have it checked out if that is the case.

5. nobertos

nobertos

Nov 23, 2003
    ok, what about the noisy xlr? easy to fix?

6. Probably a bad solder connection or a loose pin in the jack. Check it out when you change the tube(s).
    FF

7. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Seems like I have read (here) that older units had a different setup on the DI send. There might be a mod, or there might not, I don't know.

Also, I thought someone said that older units had a mod needed in some sort of protection on the outputs to keep it from cutting in when it shouldn't. Maybe you have that problem.

Is your unit new or a few years old?