Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nokia N Gage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Anybody using one? opinions?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    pretty crap.

combining a phone and a text message device and a gaming console leaves u with:

a half functional, brick of plastic with a billion buttons that you can almost send texts from, is unconfortable on your face and sucks for gaming....

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Does anyone else feel that cell phones are getting a bit out of hand? Do we really need cameras and games and all that crap in a phone? My son has been looking at phones that you can download all sorts of garbage into, and it just seems ridiculous to me.

Or am I just getting old?

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm getting my first cell phone soon...finally joining the rest of the friggin world.

At anyrate, I'm going through nextel because they have good long distance coverage, but when you go through nextel you have to use a nextel phone, either way I was planning on getting the cheapest phone...I really couldn't care less about a third of the features offered to me in most phones these days, and I don't like flip phones.

That said, my brother(cell phone salesman) has one of those really advanced $300 nokias(with the rotary dial) and that thing is REALLY neat. The camera is pretty capable, it can stream Realvideo files(news and stuff) you can get net radio and stuff, it has a built in voice recorder, plays mp3s...etc.

and it's not a flip phone! :p

I wouldn't mind having a camera phone, because I don't have a digital camera, and it would be a semi-decent replacement.

maybe I'll wait a few years for them to get better.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    nov 24 = number portability for cell users

that means you can take your current cell number with you to another carrier; what does that mean? screw you ATT!

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    robot i have managed just about every cell company on the market. get a tmobile. cheaper with the same long distance as nextel with out the horrible 2 way feature. i went with cingular just becasue i was mad at tmobile... do yourself a favor.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I like my gadgets & gizmos to be as simple and fool-proof as possible. The more crap you put into something, the less they appeal to me. And it seems that the majority of people (at least in my country) thinks the same! All these money invested into marketing sophisticated luxury models with colour displays, cameras and whatnot, only to see in the statistics that the best-selling models are the simple and inexpensive ones!

In that case, so am I! 22 years old and already an old fart! :spit:

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have a digital camera phone, and am very happy I didn't pay any extra for it.
    [​IMG]
    The camera is a seperate attachment, which I like, because that keeps the phone small and lightweight. The only thing I've used the camera for is setting the pics for the caller ID. I did DL a few songs as ring-tones just as a joke with friends. Overall, I'm really happy with the phone, and with T-Mobile's service.

9. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    A friend of mine just got the N Gage. And although he hasnt bought any new games. We have been beating each other up on who gets to play next on the built in snowboard game. Its as much a gameboy as a Phone. You can play mp3's. It has real video so you can play small videos! Its small enough to fit into your pocket. Its really nice!
    But i wouldnt buy it. I want something smaller and that doesnt look stupid when you are on the phone. You have to hold the phone perpendicular to your ear unlike other phones that lie parralell to your ear. That looks pretty retarded so i would stick to conventional phones.
    For those of you that think the picture thing on cameras is useless. I suggest you try one. I think its really fun to be at a party or concert. Take a quick picture and send it to a friend. " a picture is worth a thousand words"
    But if you want a phone that doubles as a game boy go for it!
    nokia makes reliable stuff so dont worry about it being a "piece of plastic". it will hold.

Michael

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Um yeah, I'm currently on my third Nokia phone.. My first I got in 1996 I think, I've been pretty happy with them. Actually I've passed my few year old Nokia to my mom since I bought new one last spring, it still works fine even after all these years of dropping it on the floor once in a week and such abuse.

But anyways, with the Ngage, I think Nokia is trying to pull off "Gameboy with extras" and I think it actually does ok, it's basicly a decent gaming device(with 3d games such as Tomb Raider) with mp3-player, radio and a cell phone. Not bad for the only Gameboy Advance -competitior on the market - and besides if I'd just HAVE to have that GBA in my pocket, I'd rather pick one with a phone and MP3 than drag three different devices around.

Oh and if you are worried about having to hold such a bulky device on your ear, it actually uses ear button for calls.. Bit odd but hey, atleast it improves the safety when driving, I just love those people who have one hand on their phone and they're trying to negotiate a turn and shift gear simultaneously with the other :rolleyes:

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. No...you're not getting old.

Soon,Im sure theres gonna be phones that make you hot pockets.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Dude....

Cingular is by far the worst service I have ever experienced in my life. I know at least 6 people off the top of my head that has cingular service and we all agree unanimously that is SUCKS.

Calls constantly dropped, can't call out, can't receive calls, all with a FULL SIGNAL on the phone. I've had 2 different phones with the service, so it can't be blamed on the phones.

I'm going with either T-Mobile or AT&T.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The introduction of number portability, or porting, on November 24th sounds awesome.

However, it has never been done before, and there is no gaurantee it will work for everyone when it becomes effective. It will be "available" starting the 24th. No way to tell how long it will take to transfer, or if it will always work. Alot more is involved then simply switching who you pay each month.

-Mike

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i dont agree. tmobile is an excellent service and they have great customer care. however i left with a bad taste in my mouth and was gonna be damned if they got another cent of my money. cingular uses the same system here, so its like having the same service. they used the old bellsouth mobility system (which i also worked for) so they have great coverage and fairly cheap. there are 4 of us on a plan with some extras for like 70 bucks. back when thats what i did to make a living i had all the bluetooth and video capture phones, now i find myself longing for the old star tac....
    although i will say that color phones are dank as all get out.
    NOW FOR UNCLE JONNY'S WORLD OF CELL PHONE, INSIDER INFO...
    1. do NOT accept the listed price of a phone. these prices are padded and all of the providers are desperate for activations.
    2 NEVER pay for activation fees. once again a padded cost.
    3 accessories cost the company literally 2 dollars for 50 units. NEVER pay for them
    4 rememeber that YOU PAY THEM FOR A SERVICE. they are not some sort of ellusive privalige. you drop a call... immediately call customer care.
    5. PAY ATTENTION TO YOU BILLS... i looked at a few customers bills and there were literally like 25 bucks in charges that were unjustified. they would pay them anyway. this wasnt at tmobile, but you get the drift.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001