1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NOLA GTG

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by melodicly, May 1, 2010.

1. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    First thing first, lets all make it through jazz fest alive and get through our typical week after hangover...... :atoz:

So I just sent this to somebody as a pm and after a few more sips of coffee thought "why did I do that when I could just put it here?" So let me know what you guys thinks:

I started building fEarful cabs about a year ago just because I needed a project to do with my somewhat depressed father and was tired of having to lug around 2 210 cabs to even medium sized gigs. I had no idea what the result would be other than gets pops off his ass, but when the first one was completed I was so blown away I built another. These cabs are perfect for NOLA as they are light for easy load in through all the drunks that NEVER get out of the way, relatively compact for those 6'x6' stages with 12 piece band nights, LOUD LOUD LOUD and they fill the stage and every corner of the room with what you want them to.

Now with that said I am still looking for the 'perfect' amp to couple with these as they are quite power hungry (500W gets em warmed up so to speak) so I thought, why not try a NOLA GTG so everyone can try my cabs (maybe have me build one for them) and I get to try out a bunch of different amps. Looking at specs alone I think the Shuttle 9 w/500w@8ohms and 900W@4ohms and 4lbs would be the one, but I can't find a GB to play. I have a Tone Hammer and power amp so there could be many different tests with pres and pedals and even just straight in basses.

Kind of long winded I know, not enough coffee yet, but what do you think? I thought Monday evening as I would be able to get the big room at Studio 101 pretty easy and most folks don't have Monday night gigs. I would be open to doing else where as well such as Founainbleu, backyard etc., but Studio has a nice big room that would allow for loudness without the room factoring in so much. There is also enough outdoor space that making it the standard bbq and beer party would be super easy. It's a little tough to find if you have never been there, but it's a pretty central location in midcity. If you've been there once it's easy.

Anyway, I really feel I have found the "magic number" on bass cabs finally and it is something that ANYBODY can build themselves and would like to share that with other bass players around here. It can be a PITA dealing with gear around here, but that won't ever stop me from gigging, however every little bit helps!

I thought about maybe doing a CL add, but that's one of the reasons I left Fountainbleu, the gross number of arrogant, ignorant and disrespectful "kids" around here that insist that low F# and eq to 11 is the only way to play bass and that writing on the ceiling with a LIGHTER isn't going to one day burn all of our gear down. I will never judge anybody by the music they play, but ego doesn't make any pleasant noises in my book. I guess I am asking if I might be setting myself up for an evening of baby sitting? Most of the experience I have of TB is respectful, intelligent and wise so that's why I am trying here first. I really think it would take a lot of effort to damage these high excursion drivers (I have tried to some extent) but I would have to kill somebody that disrespected my Pedulla.

One more thing..... I do want to expose people to fEarful cabs because there is no other way to do it unless you just build it. I've invested the time, money and "blind faith" already, so at least this way you won't have to. I want to make clear though, that I am NOT trying to make a commercial venture out of building these cabs. Greenboy was kind enough to offer the incredibly well thought out plans for free and I have simply duplicated those to the best of my ability. If someone wanted me to build them one, no problem, but there is no way that I could make a living off of it without charging $1000/cab (which I think they are worth). Just want to make clear that yes I BUILT these cabs, but they are NOT my design.

Sorry for the rambling. Been thinking about this for awhile and I think I might still be drunk from last night....

Thanks for the input!
    Dale

2. I'd be open to a GTG but my amp doesn't fit the criteria, so I'd just be there for the beer and BS.

Mike

3. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    No criteria except bring your own booze and bass, because I will likely drink all of mine and I get a little picky about my bass! I just looked at how long winded that was, man jazzfest REALLY burnt some brain cells this year!

Anyway, got any other bass buddies that might be interested on a monday evening? I figure I will bring my drummer (who also plays bass, guitar, etc., etc.) so we can do some drum and bass stuff and hear cabs/amps in a 'real' setting. I could also have my guitarist bring his Marshal setup for true comparisons.

Really I just want local bass players to know, that really good bass cabs are now available and a 12/6 cab will get louder and lower than I could ever convince anybody without them trying it first. Their so sturdy and power hungry, I wouldn't be against renting them out at all.

Let me know, and we can get enough people, I will grab some burgers and sausage and such and we'll go at it for a few hours!

4. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I'm interested in a GTG. I also own a Shuttle 9.0.

Cheers,
    Jim

5. These two threads should be merged.

Mike

6. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Sweet. I've got a bit of a crazy week and a few things to tidy up with my cabs but I will get in touch with DJ at Studio 101 and ask him for some details. That's assuming there isn't a free place to do it somewhere. Maybe the 24th of may?

I REALLY want to try a shuttle 9.0.

7. I can't speak for the others, but May on the whole doesn't look promising for me. Weekdays can be problematic, as well. On the other hand, while I enjoy my gear, people aren't generally beating down dealer doors for what works for me, so my gear addition may not be missed.

Mike

8. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Need to pay more attention to my subscriptions!

May looking crazy for me to all the way through Tomato fest, so this may have to be a mid July kind of a thing.

Jazzbo, let me know when and where you are playing next and I will try and bring a cab along for you to try with your head. I have 2 gigs at Bayou Park bar saturday, if you might let me try it out for a minute. Same to you Mike. I am ALWAYS early and the first gig doesn't start till 10(ish) so I will likely be there with beer by 730 or so if you just want to hang out and chat.

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    How about anything soon?

10. What kinda timeframe you lookin' at? I'm very up to the idea, but my job and family restrict my schedule.

Mike

11. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Man, how did i miss this?? Anyone looking to put this together? I realized that I missed the big NYC get together by a few days with my vacation. Bummer. Happy to contribute (Sadowsky, Spector, Lakland, GK, Epifani).