1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noll 4-band preamp, very nice!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassBuzzRS, Nov 6, 2006.

1. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I did mention in an earlier thread that I had ordered a NOLL preamp to put in my bass with EMG active pickups, to replace the BQC-EMG system that was installed with the pickups.

Let me first say that you can choose the wiring options from a list and I chose one that required 4 holes in the bass because that's what I already had. I chose VOL, BLEND, BASS/TREBLE, and LOWMID/HIGHMID.
    Frequencies are according to this diagram
    [​IMG]

My bass is a custom made Eugen, and I took it to the luthier to have the preamp installed (9V, btw). He did, and sat down and played the bass. His comment "Wow, this is actually a usable treble!", and continued to work the mid knobs.

For myself I can say that this preamp is very musical indeed. I had a gig in a very boomy room last friday, and we had to cut most of the bass frequencies to be heard at all through the reverberation. Then I dialled in some 400HZ from the lowmid knob, and it helped a lot for me to be heard without boom.

I like this preamp, it's much, much, better than what I had. It's just musical, no matter how I dial the knobs. previously I was thinking about changing the pickups, but now I am not so sure :) I am also relieved that I am easily able to hear the difference in quality electronics.

Lastly, I might add that Klaus Noll answered emails personally, and quickly, so we could discuss knob colour, 9v/18v and so on. Great service and fast delivery. Oh yeah, I ordered from him directly, and paid 140€ -> 186$ .

2. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    4-band and only one battery? thats cool!

3. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'd love to hear some sound clips.
    Do they ship these suckers to the US, I didn't see a US dealer on their site?

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Bro, I don't have a soundcard :( You'd only hear the characteristics of my particular bass though, probably not too helpful :)

Shoot him an email, I am sure he'll ship to you.