Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noll bass preamp ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello,

I've made a search and only found a few infos about Noll preamp.
    I know that a few TBers have tryed this preamp so could you describe it sound ?
    I'm looking for something more transparent and more dynamic than my Bart 3 ways.
    Possibly the 3 ways Noll pre with parametric mids or the four ways with 2 mids control.

Opinions ? comparison with Agui, Bart or Demeter ?

U-retro was also an option but I heard a lot of people said that this preamp realy have a colour of it own and it colours the bass sound even when setting flat.

Thanks for your help
    :)

Sheers

Shiveringbass

PS : it will be associated with Bart passive soap bars.

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i have a noll preamp in one of my basses, together with a lefay rough crystal humbucker. it's a 2-band eq only.

the highs are quite musical, without getting harsh or so, even when boosting quite a bit. the lows stay focussed.

but mostly, i keep the controls flat (yes, i'm just that kind of guy).
    the noll doesn't colour the sound much, letting the other characteristics of the bass through.

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks Bassomane for the links but I already visited Noll website. There are not so much infos about the preamp sound.

Christoph, thanks for the infos, when you say it doesn't color much, have you already compare it to other preamp ?
    For instance Aguilar OBP1 or OBP3 are said to be quite transparent when setting flat.

Other opinions or experience on that Noll preamp, I've heard that Ritter uses those preamp in his instrument which would be a great proff of quality for me ?

Thanks for your thoughts

Sheers

4. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Anyone ?

Bump please !

Thanks

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They're not distributed over in the US yet AFAIK, so you won't get much input from this side of the pond. I know Brian @ BestBassGear.com was thinking about importing them.

mb94952 likes this.
  6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Yes,Noll will do THE job you ask for.
    The 3-ways with parametric mids is what I put on my (modified) Warwick Streamer Stage I.Since then,I hear PURE WOOD from this particular instrument.
    I don't know about Demeters,but I tried/heard some Aguilars and Bartolinis (....and yeah,those sh**ty older MECs... :scowl: ).There's no comparison between these and Noll...the later wins hands down when we're talking neutrality,air and versatility.
    Just go for a Noll and live happily ever after! :hyper:
    Regards,

7. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Sorry,I forgot an important detail:
    If you go for Noll,pay attention on the output jack's type.
    Noll fits their preamps with either 3-pole or 9-pole output jacks,depending on a particular preamp's configuration.
    The problems appear when your instrument is provided "by default" with a 3-pole jack BUT you have to install the 9-pole...it's a heck of a job (I had a hard time installing properly the Noll 9-pole jack on my Warwick :eek: ).
    Regards,

lucasfgonzalez likes this.
  8. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks for that infos man ! it's great to at least read someone who can coment on Noll tone.
    It seems that nobody knows those preamp...
    I thinks I've read on Noll site that Ritter bass uses those preamp.
    It would be enough for me to choose it !
    ;)

Thanks and other opinions or thoughts are welcome.

Sheers

9. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Glad to be of help!
    Here's an older thread about the same theme (at that time,I was the one looking for infos and Christoph told me everything he knew about Noll,during a PM exchange).
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150598&highlight=Noll
    Yes,Noll preamps are installed on some high-end basses AND electric uprights,but I wouldn't judge by the "...what's good for a Ritter must be good for my bass..." principle.Most often,a given by-product is choosen to be part of something bigger for some specific reasons that simply don't fit in other situations.When I said about my experiences with Aggies and Barts,I meant strictly about these preamps installed on identical (or very similar) basses as mine,so it isn't a wide "Aggie-on-Fender vs.Noll-on-Warwick" issue here.
    Good luck!
    Regards,

10. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I have to add that I play the 2 Band Noll Preamp with SMD technology (small housing). Where I like the Frequencies choosen, there is a difference in sound between active and passive. To get the equal sound I have to boost the bass and treble just a little bit. For me it is no downside, because I like to have two sounds on the fly.

As I know, there is also the possibility to customize the preamp for your needs. You only have to get in contact with Noll.

11. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, first i compared it to the passive sound of the same bass. of course there was a difference, but it was subtle.

i also played a van der end jazz bass which has a very transparent preamp and while the van der end was cleaner, the noll still wasn't what i'd call coloured.

i'd like to say one thing though: while i am a fan of clean/transparent sound, i think the overall idea is overrated or probably misunderstood. it's true that you should get the original qualities of the bass through. but as Le Basseur said, it's just as important to find electronics that fit the sound/design concept of the bass AND the player, even if they are a bit more coloured.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1! Folks seem to be much too hung up on the clean and clear thing right now.

13. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Emjazz, I'm quite astonishing to read your post since you're one of the TBers Roscoe owners who had widely encouraged me to change my Roscoe Bart. preamp for a Demeter that you found more transparent, clean, open and dynamic !
    ;)

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, my statement was more a generalized one (the last statement that I made). I was actually thinking more along the lines of the amps and cabs that are being pushed recently. Sorry, I guess I was caught thinking (typing) "out loud". ;)

I certainly do like the Demeter for all of those reasons you mentioned. Most importantly for me the Demeter allows more control over the dynamics of the instrument; much moreso than the Bart pre. In your case it sounds like a Noll pre would be great in your Roscoe. My next preamp will be from Mike Pope so I guess that discredits my own "getting hung up on clean sounds" statement. The preamp will probably be more of a line driver than a preamp with eq though.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also, a cleaner preamp mated with Bartolini pickups always seems best to me.

16. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    This is what I found in Noll site :

...Der NOLL-Alleskönner TCM 3PM
    überzeugt im Hörtest durch fein dosierbare, klar definierte und wirkungsvolle Eingriffe ins Klangbild, nebengeräuscharme Arbeitsweise und den vorbildlichen
    Lieferumfang, komplett mit nützlichem Einbaumaterial und Metall-Poti-Knöpfen.
    Hier bekommt man erstklassige Qualität geliefert, gleichzeitig wird auch dem unerfahrenen Bastler der Einbau der Komplett-Elektronik so leicht gemacht,
    wie es nur geht.
    Die NOLL-Elektronik ist vorbildlich in jeder Hinsicht!
    gitarre & bass

Problem, I don't speak a single word of German !
    :(

If someone could sum up this it would be realy great !

Thanks guies

Sheers

17. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    From the English section of the Noll website:

"ONBOARD EQ TCM 3PM
    A compact equalizer whose sealed version allows easy installation and offers a secure insulation. Bass, midrange and treble controls are center detented and allows 15dB of boost and cut.The top feature of the TCM 3PM is a concentric midrange control with adjustable frequency range from 280Hz to 1,5KHz. The EQ requires power from a single 9 Volt battery and is combinable with all active and passive pickups. For an extra dynamic range it will runs with 18V also.
    With our MixPot you can also combine Piezo with magnetic pickups.
    The low impedance output of the TCM 3PM provides other great features. You can run a cable for up to 100 feet (30m) without losing high frequency response."

English homepage:
    http://www.noll-electronic.de/sites_e/d_home.html
    Enjoy!:)
    Regards,

18. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks Le basseur but my quote in German comes from the english page, TCM 3 PM section in "press" thi is taken from an article of Gitarre & bass.
    I already knew the text you copy here but do you mean that what I've put in german is the same as what is written in English ?

Thanks

19. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Nope.I'm thin on German too but from what I understand,the German text looks like a general description a la "Stereo" Magazine ;) .
    German-spokers,please chime in!