Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NOMAR LEAVES BOSTON!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Jul 31, 2004.

1. I never would have thought it, but today the Boston Red sox announced the trade of their once super star short stop, Nomar Garciaparra to the freakin' cubs! wow! I think this was a long time coming and with a guy like Poke Reese taking his place...altho he's out injured for now i started to realize that he isn't very useful to boston anymore so on that aspect i agree with the deal but i'm still shocked.

Any other sox fans have any opinions/arguments?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whoa! That's crazy! I'm no sox fan but I do find that shocking.

brad cook

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    his game has gotten steadily worse...
    i think its a good thing.

4. This is kinda like giving a scratched CD to a record player....

5. Does this make it more or less likely that someone, anyone, will beat the Yankees? That's all I care about.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Woo Hoo!

Go Cubs!

7. I'm a big Sox fan...and I have to say, it's Nomar's time to go. He's no longer as good as he once was. I just hope that this trade mid-season won't cause the Red Sox to fall further behind the "Skankees" than they are....need to clinch a play-off birth...

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Me too. I deeply hate George Steinbrenner. I don't care who beats him, but I want him beaten, and badly.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Didn't he want to leave anyway? Wasn't he about to become a free agent?

10. What did chicago give back to boston? I know Matt Clement is one.

The Houston Astros fans would like to thank you for taking good cub players away from the NL Central.

11. The only players the cubs lost were Alex Gonzalez, Brendan harris, and Francis Beltran. Not exactly the creme de le creme.

12. getting rid of nomar was a good idea -- while his game was sliding and his rep stayed up. the detroit lions should've gotten rid of herman moore when he was in the same place.

i wish the tigers could've tried to pick up some pitching. i keep hoping they'll put together a streak and start challenging boston for the wild card.

robb.

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Nomar is still a great player. He's been hurt, both physically and emotionally. He hasn't played well for Boston, and quite frankly I'm not surprised. The Sox front office is so desperate for a Series win they don't care about minor details like keeping their franchise players happy. They totally dissed Nomar during the A-Rod trade debacle, then refused to even negotiate signing him to a contract extension this year. Same with that clown Martinez. Does anyone believe there was a physical reason Pedro couldn't get his fastball over 88 mph early in the season? Conversely, look at how the Yankees treated their franchise shortstop. They told A-Rod "you're either coming here as a third baseman or not at all".

Yankee-haters, be prepared to be filled with even more hate. The starting pitching has been average at best, and every single player is having a below-average year at the plate (so far). And they still have the best record in baseball and lead the hapless Sox by 9.5 games. If the Yanks start firing on all cylinders, it's just going to be ridiculous.

14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    +1

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    As a Reds fan, you'll like Pokey Reese. This guy's defensive abilities are pretty amazing. And, he goes after the plays he has no business even trying,, & he makes them.

Wish we still had him at 2nd.

16. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    All I can think is how sad it'll be that we won't get to hear Boston fans yell his name. I mean how much more perfect can you get than:

"NO-MAAAAAAAAAA"

for a name in Boston?

=0)

17. Yeah, I think Mussina is done and Brown has a foot out the door-- even he thought he was done while that parasite had him immobilized. Leiber doesn't always seem to have it together and needs a little more movement... and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on El Duque.

OTOH IMNTLBHO Vazquez (sp?) has been a brick so far. Let's see if Loaiza (sp?) can keep his head together better than Contreras could. That was a definite improvement even before Loaiza throws pitch one for Los Yanquis.

And how about some middle relief? Huh George?

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You guys ain't in Detroit! :bawl:

19. so, it's like, NO MAH NOMAAAAAAAA? :p