Non ABG Strings on a ABG?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by marwady, Jul 28, 2005.

1. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Hello all,

Do any of you use electric bass strings on your ABG. I hear varying opinnions on this. Some wisdom says that the tension created by strings made of materiels other than phosphor/bronze is too much for ABG necks and bracing. Others say no problem. I cannot seem to get a straight answer, even from local techs. No one seems to agree.

I have a Michael Kelly DF5 5 string, fretted Dragonfly with the stock strings in phosphor/bronze. I would like to darken the tone a bit (this one is all maple so it's kind of bright), and also keep my fingers from turning black when I play it.

Light or medium guage strings would be fine, in fact, I would prefer light guage for this instrument.

I am looking for those of you who have actually done this and had success.

2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I use DR Sunbeams or DR Hi-Beams on my Martin ABG. They feel and sound much better than bronze, IMO, and are much easier to find than bronze, (for me anyway). The best bet is to pick up a set and give them a try. Also, this thread would probably be more appropriate in the Strings forum. Good luck.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I checked the packaging on a set of Daddario bronze, and daddario nickel strings and the tension was actually abit higher on the bronze.

I used Daddario XL strings
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I use T-I Jazz Flats on mine.