non-adjustable intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by m_lucero, Mar 27, 2004.

1. m_lucero

Mar 21, 2004
    I'm sketching out some fanned fret designs and am stuck on the bridge. Aside from the individual tailpiece/saddle combos, there isn't much else on the market I can work with. So I've been spending more time designing bridges than anything else and have the following stupid questions....

1. Why do I need adjustable intonation? Once it's intonated correctly will humidity, temperature, age and normal use really have that much effect? After all, the frets don't move, the nut doesn't move, the scale doesn't change, why should the saddles?

2. Suppose I fix a non-adjustable bridge to the body (a la violin, archtop, or similar instrument). Would glue provide a sufficient acoustic coupling for maximum sustain? Or should I use wood screws? Threaded inserts? Mortise & tenon? Does it even matter?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Two words: string change. If you change the string guage, it will affect the intonation.
  3. also string type- if you use taper-wound strings, the intonation point will move.
  4. I've had occasional problems losing intonation even when changing strings that were the same brand, gauge, and size, although this usually doesn't happen. I've usually Always had to adjust intonation whenever changing to a different gauge string. I don't think you'd want to limit yourself to one specific size/type of string.
    So you might consider the individual bridge/saddle type, something like what Dingwall uses.