1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Non Bass-driven Grooves

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lowtonejoe, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    I'm listening to a bunch of Steve Miller tunes right now.

MY GOD!!!

These tunes GROOVE HARD!!

While, no doubt, the bass and even organ on a few tunes contribute heavily to the groove, it seems to me that it's the DRUMS :eek: that drive the groove.

Jeez Louise man!!

Tell me it aint so!

You folks know of any more tunes that are groove driven by the drums?

I know, I know! this is a bass website but COME ON!! This is just too danged good to be ignored.

:bag:

Joe.

2. "Trucker's Atlas" by Modest Mouse. 11 minutes of jaw-dropping white-boy funk courtesy of drummer Jeremiah Green, who is IMO one of the greatest drummers that nobody's ever heard of.

3. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Cool, I'll try to check them out!

Anyone else? You DO realize that drummers are our freinds...right??

:D

Joe.

4. Check out a band called Drop Trio. Drums, keyboards, and bass. Great grooving bass playing, actually it's nothin but groove. But a lot of times I find that the keyboards overpower it, but in a good way. You can still hear the bass, but the keyboard in a lot of their songs is so haunting and powerfully beautiful sounding that I find myself focusing on that.
    The drummer is great, he brings the song exactly what it needs. Just the perfect balance between the instruments. I love these guys.
    Awesome band all around. Check out their album "Big Dipper" if you can, you won't regret it.

5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Cool!

I'll see if I can find these guys too!

:D

Joe.

6. Here's a description of them from cdbaby.com. It's a little better then the one I gave you:meh:

"Houston isn't the greatest city in the world for live jazz, but folks like Drop Trio are out to change that. They don't really fit in with the avant-garde, the martini sippers or the purists; they're more for the young cats who like their jazz a bit funked up with lots of energy. Drop Trio is anchored by a rhythm section tighter than the Texas education budget and a Rhodes keyboard that gets pushed to its limits on every cut. Think Medeski Martin and Wood, without their lame DJ, and then add in some elements of bayou funk and acid-tinged San Francisco hipness, and you're close to describing the sound of their instrumental jams."

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Years after his untimely passing, I still think any dang thing Jeff Porcaro played drums on could've gotten away without a bass track and still groove all day long. In particular, the Toto track "Rosanna", the Boz Skaggs cut "Jo Jo" and "Lady Love me One More Time" by George Benson stick out right now for me.

Aside from that, the old Prince hit "Kiss" has no bass in it and all and still has a great pocket.

8. Let's not forget "When Doves Cry." That's some seriously stank bass-less funk, especially considering the time period from which it comes.

I think "My Doorbell" by the White Stripes has a pretty effective groove, courtesy of Jack White's big left hand on piano and Meg White's "cavewoman stomp" (Pitchfork 2005).

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Safari Duo is all-drums...

10. There is one guitar player that I jam with on Firday nights that knows how to groove with the best bassists around. I can walk into the house and here him playing and think that there is a bassist with him because it is so damn groovy. Too bad his band doesn't have any recordings or I would post them.

lowsound