Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-bass equipment as bass equipment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanjones, May 8, 2002.

1. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I did a search and didn't find anything on this so....

I was reading this month's Bass Player and in the A.J. article he listed a bunch of pro audio gear as his rig. A mic pre, parametric eq, and powered p.a. cabs. I was just curious if anyone here uses that sort of setup or has used this type of setup live (I know a lot of people use mic pre's in the studio)? I know that it will create a more pure and uncolored sound and was wondering why more people don't do this. It seems like a lot of people are saying they want an amp that puts out a pure, uncolored sound of their bass and it would seem like this would be the ideal way to do it.

2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i dunno. good question though. I figure if i put a message here more people will respond. Has anybody ever noticed that nobody seems to respond to posts that have no responses? Once a post gets a few though, more people start looking at it....Or maybe i'm talkin outa my ass. Peace

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I think what most people say they want/like and what they're actually hearing are 2 different things. At any given moment, someone on this board is saying that their Eden/SWR/Aguilar/EA/etc gives the pure uncolored tone of the bass. Since all those amps are voiced differently, someone has to be wrong.

I don't know that the flattest tone would be suitable for mass market amps considering the variability in the quality of basses out there. A crappy bass put into a voiced amp may sound ok but put into a "flat" amp will make poor little Suburban Johnny want to quit playing.

Besides once you eq the sound aren't you coloring the tone anyway?

I do agree there are better ways to get uncolored tone than bass centric gear.

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    That is kinda funny that everyone names cabs that all have their own character as being flat and allowing the sound of the bass to come through. :) Never noticed that before honestly.

I don't think that EQ'ing colors the sound as much as it just sculpts the sound. So, it's your bass with more mids or more bass, but still just your bass.....as if it naturally had more mids or more bass, etc.

Anybody tried setting up this way? What were your results? Is it worth it (assuming you have a great sounding bass)?

5. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    bump one more time just in case anybody wants to respond

6. I think alot of PA speaker cabinets are very similar to bass cabs. For example, Carvin uses the exact same speakers in their bass amps as in their PA stuff.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the biggest difference between bass cabs and pa speakers is cabinet design and size, which has a direct bearing on frequency response. the same driver is going to sound different in 2 different sized enclosures. bass cabs usually, ime, have the kind of low freq response that pa subs have.

i use guitar cab 4x12"'s and 1x18" pa subs. i like it. :)

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Jones,

i might be repeating myself from my post on HC, but hifi pro audio equipment will allow every minute aspect of whatever bass you're using to shine thru. so, IMHO, only a bass cab will project and deliver adequate low end response to the audience.

if i'm not mistaken, doesnt Anthony J. use a pair of modified Epifani T112's? either way, i think he understands that only a good bass cab can handle and push the low end.

even guys with other speaker cabs support them with bass cabs. and most PA systems use subs to adequately handle the low lows.

9. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    joker, what you said is true. Only thing is that I've tried bass through pa speakers and absolutely hated the sound. I'm talking more about mic pre's, eq's...pretty much everything except the speakers.

And I thought AJ was using Epifani's too, but in his interview he said he was using Meyers Sound powered cabs as his touring rig with Michel Camilo. Who knows? *shrug*