Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-bass GAS - Rickenbacker 650D

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 8, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I need another guitar like a fish needs a bicycle, but I've had the hots for one of these for several years:

[​IMG]

Rickenbacker 650D "Dakota"

Doesn't that look like a guitar for bassists? I had a chance to play around with one a few years back, and my three chords work wonderfully. Pretty cheap for a Ric, too - new street price is around $700 with case.

Anyone wanna be my sugar daddy?

2. They seem like great guitars. They get really good reviews. I was thinkin on getting a Dakota or a Sierra later this summer so i can finally get to work on trying to record some music.

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    My guitarist has one. I'll gladly and shamelessly steal it and trade it for your 4001 ric :D

Tom
    (still trying to come up with a less crap username)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really like the the look of the Rick 360, myself. Though the Dakota is no slouch.

5. I love the body style, I don't like the look of the bridge, I've never been a big fan of Rick's pickups, but that being said I've never played one of those. I've played a bunch of the "vintagey" ones with the "R" trapeze tailpiece and "vintage" pickups. Cool little guitar, but a little light in tone.

6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I bought and sold an Atlantis on Ebay, which is a cousin of the Dakota and I regret losing that guitar more than any other deal I ever did. Nice wide neck. The high gain pickups are not as bright at RIC sounding as the vintage pups though.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Max, that's part of what I liked about it - the pickups. I'd also like a 330 or 360, but the combination of the narrow neck and the one-trick pony pickups makes that much less likely to happen for me.

How was the balance on your Atlantis? I'm working off several year old memories that are clouded by lust.

Only one thing about the Dakota that bugs me - the chrome control plate. I'd probably look for a custom one in plexi - fewer fingerprints.

8. A friend of mine has a Rick that has full sized humbuckers but they're mounted on an angle, sort of like a Mosrite. They sound awful :spit: !

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think that they shouldn't cover up all that beautiful wood, and make it rear-routed, and no pickguard.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My bad.

It's on order. Backorder, actually.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, it's supposed to ship in the next few days - we'll see.

I found a second Ric guitar to lust after:

[​IMG]

Rickenbacker 380LPZ Laguna

Another guitar that looks like a high-end bass! Love that walnut... and check out the maple-bound cat's eye soundhole!

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm in love.

Popular survey saaays?

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I totally dig the one cool tone that Rics (guitars, guys. The basses are more versatile.) have. But I could never imagine buying an instrument that only had one cool tone, even if it's a really cool one, it's only one.

I could almost see it for the 360/12 but the spacing is too tight for my orangutan hands.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's the thing - both of these Rics are humbuckers, which have very different tone than the traditional singlecoils. They can get a little jangly, but they do a very nice smooth overdriven sound, too. Plus the piezos in that Laguna... schwing.

Brendan, I thought you'd like that. A 360 with a 1 3/4" nut in natural oiled woods. Chubby time!

Like I said, guitars for bassists!

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, in case you think I've lost it, I also lust for one of these as a mate for my 4001:

[​IMG]

Rickenbacker 4004 C II

I actually prefer the earlier version with oiled finish:

[​IMG]

16. How do those sound compared to the 4001?

Still dig the body style on the Dakota over the Laguna.

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Dunno - I've never gotten my hands on one. Sure is purty, though.

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  20. I love the rounded body edges, the sharp edges with binding tear into my arm after a while. The wood selection is classy too. I love the walnut look.