Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-Bass Playing Influences?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stingus, Jan 14, 2004.

1. I don't know if this has been posted before, and I didn't to a search to make sure, but I thought I would bring up the topic of influences who might not necessarily be bassists.

J S Bach: It doesn't matter whether he played one or not--this is the Grandaddy of all Bass Players!!!

Igor Stravinsky: I first ran into Stravinsky when I took a Music 111 class about 10yrs ago. The Rite of Spring blew my head clean off.

Paul Bley: Primarily in a film called "imagine the sound", his statements about jazz and his performances made me rethink how music should be played and performed.

Neil Young: Primarily his work w/Crazy Horse, but overall his fearlessness in his songwriting and the various styles he has tried over the years.

Frank Zappa: Picked up where Stravinsky left off. Put 20th Century music into a rock context w/a dash of irreverent humor. Plus, a badass guitarist.

Archie Shepp, John Coltrane, and Eric Dolphy: Not just their playing, but their very individual composing styles. Made jazz important and personal to me.

Ani DiFranco: Even if she wasn't one of the best songwriters of our generation, she's one of the best solo acoustic guitarists since Michael Hedges.

OH, and Kinky of course...

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The main non-bass influence in my playing is Steve Vai for sure. Also another non influence is SRV. Tought me how to put my soul into everything I play!!!

3. Off the top of my head:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers -- to me, the very epitome of rock that's fun but not sugary or shallow. I've seen them live several times, the way Tom can engage an audience is something I greatly admire.

Alice in Chains -- I've been a singer longer than I've been a bassist, and these guys blew me away when I first heard them -- they were my first example that you can have jaw-dropping vocals and even awesome harmonies and still be a rock band. (We miss you, Layne.)

Heart, Alannah Myles, and many other female rockers -- I've been listening to hard rock and metal since I was little, and the vast majority of my favorite bands were (are) all guys. It was years before I had any idea how rock and women could mix, especially with singing. Ladies like these are great inspiration to me.

Dream Theater -- Besides being my favorite band in the universe, they've shown me that it's okay to break the rules of traditional band structure -- everyone writes, everyone sings, everyone is an outstanding musician, and the band is in no way window dressing for one or two of its members.

Barry Manilow -- Laugh all you want, but he is a genius songwriter. I don't have half the soul he does.

Rachmaninoff (among other Russian composers) -- Russian music is very visceral and emotionally colorful. I find endless inspiration here.

All southern rock -- from Skynyrd to Brother Cane, it's where I come from and what feels most comfortable to me. (Though I could do without hearing "Slow Ride" and "Free Bird" 20x a day on Nashville's classic rock station.)

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Trevor Rabin: Guitarist/Composer.. Love his style and voice!!

Terry Bozzio: 'Nuff said

Frank Zappa: Everything about him

Steve Vai: His compositions are WAAAAY out there.. I prefer him 10 to 1 over Satriani.

Danny Elfman: Love the soundtrack work that he does.

5. I didn't even care about music until I heard Duane Allman.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mozart
    Edward Van Halen
    Jerry Gaskill
    John Lennon
    Geoff Tate

7. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    for me:

Thelonius Monk- he just never ran out of ideas, and every single one of them was truly "new". I surprise myself sometimes in my playing, and I attribute my spontenaeity to Monk's influence.

Tom Waits- man, he just KNOWS how to set a mood. I hear him sing something, I know what he felt when singing it.. I listen to one of his compositions, I know what he wanted me to feel. Pure, unbridled musicianship, a real role model for all of us. (AND he's had some damn fine bass players in his day!)

Jimmy Smith- I never tire of Jimmy. He really got me into bebop, which was really the first step in getting me to where I am now/wherever it is I'm headed. The man played bass with his feet as well as anyone I've heard play with their hands, too! I've got dreams in the back of my head about one day being a hot jazz organist, but I know that's a ways off!

Patsy Cline- I'm not big into country, but there's not a female voice I like better than her's. A shame she died so young, we really missed out on a lot.

It's near impossible to avoid being influenced by J.S. Bach (you might say he was the "original" Jimmy Smith!), of course. My knowledge of counterpoint is just as important to me as my fingers, without it I'd be an incomplete musician.

my biggest influence: whoever is in my CD player! I'm always looking for new perspective.

so, that's my short list.:bassist:

Anthony

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A few of mine are Maurice White, Charles Stepney, Becker & Fagan, Curtis Mayfield, Roger Waters, Bobby Byrd, Norm Whitfield, George Clinton, & David Byrne.

9. there are (and have been) a lot of influences for me, too much to list them all here, but at the moment I'm very impressed with Neal Morse, this guy is so incredibly talented, really an amazing musician, and composer!

10. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Pete Townshend - lyrically leaves himself incredibly vulnerable in his songs; yet the playing is incredibly muscular and loud. i like the balance and contrast. also did wonders for rythmn guitar - he was always interesting in this respect.

Neil Young - the way he strums is quite percussive, naturally attracting me. lyrically good stuff as well.

minutemen, police - both bands do a lot with a little. not a lot of gadgetry, just balls out rock.

trans am - reminds me that you don't have to be super busy in your playing to leave an impression.

camper van beethoven - like the minutemen, you had the sense from how they played that friendships were THE key to a great band. are able to be goofy on one track; then incredibly feeling on the next.

i could go on and on, but many of you have already listed who i'd list. maybe i'll also throw in ella fitzgerald and louis armstrong, (for really teachging me what "swing it" means) but i'm new to that scene still.

have a great day all.

11. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    Nicolo Paganini
    Angel and Pepe Romero (classical guitarists)
    Meatloaf
    Billy Joel
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Nuno Bettencourt
    Randy Rhoads
    Tommy Lee
    Tommy Aldridge
    Virgil Donati
    Mike Portnoy...

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Being a drummer as a kid hearing all the cool bass parts and realizing that in this world there are a ton of drummers and bad bassists and having the potential and opportunity to make my mark somewhere on the bass.

13. Herbie Hancock
    John Klemmer
    Antonio Carlos Jobim
    Paquito D'Rivera
    Claudio Roditi
    Herb Alpert
    Tom Scott
    Grant Geisman
    Stevie Wonder

Probably my favorite all-time musician: Sergio Mendes (for his song writing and arranging abilities)

Mike

More to come as I think of them.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    For me, I would say Tommy Lee. The energy, and excitement he displayed made me want to be a musician. I can remember watching Motley Crue videos thinking I want to be a musician.

-Mike

15. So many to name...off the top of my head:

Kirk Hammet
    James Hetfield
    Maynard
    Mike Einzinger
    Brandon Boyd
    Jose(From Incubus)
    Amy Lee(*drool) :p
    Tom Delonge,Travis Barker
    Aaron Lewis...

To name a few:)

16. Jimi Hendrix. I got "The Best of Jimi Hendrix and the Experiance" in 7th grade, and it blew me away. I still credit that cd with making me want to play an instrument other than French Horn.

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Allan Holdsworth, for being daring and self-concious at the same time, and being the lone ranger/explorer of music

18. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    Zappa Zappa Zappa

its all 'bout Zappa.

I am taking a music composition course at school, and the teacher asked me what I wanted to do. So we now call the class "Frank Zappa Appreciation Hour"

19. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Devin Townsend, Miles Davis, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew and Peter Gabriel for too many reasons to list.

20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I consider Devin a genius too.