Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-chrome Fender Ashtrays/ PUP Covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigTopBruno, Jan 22, 2003.

1. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Has anyone seen these in anything besides chrome?

I have a Vintage brass pickguard on a P-bass and think Black or Gold (or Brass!) would look better than chrome.

Anyone?

thanks

BTB

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The only thing that came from the Fender factory is chrome, but I recently did see a worn/scratched gold bridge-ashtray for a P-bass on ebay a few months ago, which had to be from one of these replacement parts shops.

I'm kinda in the same boat. My '80 MIA P-bass came factory with gold hardware, and I'd sure like to get a set of gold ashtray covers for it, but I'm not having any luck finding a set.
    I guess I should have bought the one on ebay, then I would have been 1/2 way there.

At one time several months ago I saw a set of black ashtrays for a J-bass on ebay too. For some reason I thought 'The Dude' had that set for sale.

Come to think of it, if you don't care about spending some $$$, then you can always have a set powdercoated in whatever color you want.
    This is an old-car hot rodders trick...you powdercoat over new chrome, and it comes out very pearlescent looking. The chrome is still reflective, but it appears annodized in your color. Hey now you got me thinking! :D

3. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the reply!

Any idea who does this and how much it would cost?

Is there a primer you can cover chrome with before painting?..Any way to sand off the chrome?

..maybe I'll just get a new pickguard that matches the chrome better (I really like the vintage look with the covers and thumbrest).

Peace

BTB

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd like to see some ashtray/pup covers made out of wood, and sprayed to match the bass. That'd be cool, to have a bass with no pickup or bridge visible, and not covered in chrome. I'd buy that.