non classical arco

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Dec 25, 2002.

1. In replying to another thread I got the idea to start one for examples of good non classical arco.

Since I couldn't get inspired to practice arco until I got into Edgar Meyer's spacegrass/dawg/etc... recordings, I thought others might be in the same boat.

Any recomendations for non-classical arco recordings? Somthing that still exemplifies interesting technique and sound?

To start with the one I know:
    Edgar Meyer - Unfolding, Dreams of Flight, Love of a Lifetime, Appalacian Journey......

2. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    You chould check out Paul Chambers and Slam Stewart they both do some arco playing in a jazz context if you're interested in that...

There's a cool swedish jazz bassist called Anders Jormin who does quite a bit of bowing as well... check him out if u haven't

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Check out Major Holley, as well as Lynn Seaton.
  4. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    And Barre Phillips for something that's neither classical nor jazz, in the strict sense.
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Michael Moore's playing, both arco and unleaded, on Bob Brookmeyer Small Band a/k/a "Live at Sandy's" is mind-opening. The whole record is just amazing -- I keep learning from it every time I hear it. The disc is Jazz Heritage 523028L.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Rob Wasserman's "Space Island." Weird stuff.
  7. Bruce Calin

Bruce Calin

Oct 15, 2002
    I found a CD a few years ago that has Slam Stewart & Major Holley playing together in a live club recording.I don't have access to it right now,but I think it's called "Shut yo' mouth".They both play a lot of arco & sing(hum?) in their respective octaves-great stuff.
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    'Shut Yo Mouth' is a studio recording. Cute stuff.