Non-conventional Cabinets (Shroeder, Bill Fitzmaurice...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Aug 30, 2005.

1. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    In the time I have been on TB, many people have raved about cabinets from Bill Fitzmaurice and Shroeder, but it seems that the emphasis is always on how loud these cabinets are. For people that own one of these cabs, how does it rate tone-wise?
  2. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    I built Bill's DR250 midbass and Tuba 24 sub, replacing my Eden 4x10. The difference in tone is like that between a good high-fi system and a transistor radio playing an AM station. The extra volume is nice, but the improved tone is nicer.
  3. Hey Joey,

What drivers did you choose for your Dr250 & T24?
  4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    They sound great. No doubt about it. I have both the 1210 and a 410. Having great "tone" that no one can hear is stupid. Having the volume with crapola tone that everyone can hear......well.....I don't know which is worse. They are both sucky scenarios.

The Schroeder cabs have a very clean, clear, punchy tone, with a nice full bass and pleasant highs, there's an obvious low mids presence there that cabinets like an aguilar 112 and 212 are lacking. Now that Jorg has a small cab line too, I would again say that whether you need a semi quiet to very loud cabinet, Jorg offers a group of single cabinet solutions for you, which all sound as described above although each is a little different within the same size the 1212 vs 1210, or 21012 vs 410. You call Jorg, tell him what your venues, playing style, type of material, size of band etc are and he will help you match up the best he has to offer to your specific needs.

I can also state that my two cabinets are built like a tank but do sound better as they are pushed more volume-wise. As you turn up, there's a lot more of all the characteristics mentioned above.

PM me any time for discussion.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I love the tone my 1210 puts out!! It's pretty thumpy, and I'm sure could get all the highs I could ever want if I opened up the tweeter a bit more. The thing is just awesome. I plan on adding a Walkabout or small Eden to it and getting either a Schro 410 (or UL410) for my "big rig" setup. But no, the tone is amazing as well as the overall volume and portability.
  6. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    I took The Man's advice and went with Beta tens in both. I would have gone with something more expensive if I hadn't already built DR300s and Tuba 36s for my PA, based on how well those worked I took his word for it that the Beta was enough for backline cabs.
  7. That's good to hear. I recently bought a Beta for Tuba 24 project to use in conjunction with Fender 400 Pro combo amp. I was starting have doubts about going with the Beta.

If you were to build the DR250 / T24 again for a bass rig, would you do the Beta 10s again?
  8. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    From the standpoint of performance versus cost I would, though I am curious how much better the HL10a would be in the T24. But I havn't heard a hint of distortion yet with the Betas. Just make sure you install the lowpass coil and highpass capacitor or your Fender speakers will suck up all the bass power. I tried running without the filters to see what would happen and it wasn't near as good, though still better than the Eden. I also tried the T24 with the Eden 4x10 and that was a lot better than the Eden all alone, but still not close to the DR250, and the DR250 weighs a third what the Eden does. For yucks I also tried my Eden head through a T36 and DR300 from my PA and could only call it a surreal experience, but way too much only ten feet behind me.