1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

non-custom fretless 6 (or five)? huh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Nov 2, 2006.

1. I've been thinking about getting a fretless bass for a loooooong time, and I know I'm not going to get a fretless 4 string, and fretless five and sixes are the most appealing. Are there ANY non-custom fretless 6 strings (with ebony f/board) you would recommend? Or non-custom fretless 5 strings (with ebony f/board)?
    I play A LOT of things in harmonics and false harmonics, along with just about everything Wooten and Claypool plays. And I don't like the tone of the Flea's bass that much, it's like a Fender, which I don't like either...

2. I've found a couple on the UK ebay website. Try the Mazeti basses. I curently own an 8 string but they also have a 6 and a 7 fretless on ebay.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I hate to be a grump, but you're 16. how ever long you've been playing, it hasn't been long enough.
    By your profile, you come straight out with "I feel anything is better than a Fender" Why? Pardon my ignorance, but I highly doubt you've played EVERY production Fender, and every Custom Shop Fender. Also, what point are you proving by saying you can play classical thump? So can I, and i'm studying jazz at college.

/rant

As far as a fretless 6 goes, the only one I can think of off hand are The SX fretless 6's. You could always buy an Ibanez 6 or something and de-fret it. Get a pro to do it.

4. 1. No I have not played every Fender, and probably am never going to play another one.

2. I put I can play classical thump because I feel that, to me, it is a great accomplishment.

3. Will GuitarCenter people defret basses?

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Warwick makes many fretless basses in 4, 5, and 6 string models. You could get a fretless Stingray or Sterling. Yamaha has some nice fretless stuff, as does Ibanez. There are plenty of non-custom fretless basses out there.

6. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    1. Your loss.

2. Is it a great accomplishment, and congratulations. Now, take a look at some Bach pieces. THOSE are even harder than Wooten IMHO.

3. Nope. And if they did, I still wouldn't trust them haha. They have a bad rep. if you're up for a wait, check out Thor Guitar Labs. They have a killer wait time, but some TBers here have had it done, and they do amazing work!

7. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Definitely forgot about all those those :smug:

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

1. That is your choice, but even though I'm not a huge fender fan myself, I have respect for some of their instruments, including the one and only that I own.

2. Cleanly? If so, I would like to hear it. At 16 years old, that would be impressive to hear. Record it and post it up. Otherwise, just saying you can play it means nothing.

3. No. Oh god, no....

9. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    hahahahhahahhahahhaha

....erm Yamaha and Warwick fretlesses are nice. i don't know if Ibanez makes any fretless sixes, but they have the Gary Willis fretless 5 which is sure damn sexy. Also, some people like Carvin...they make reasonably priced "custom" stuff in all kinds of styles (4/5/6, fretted/fretless).
    Good luck.
    -Alex

10. Before we start gouging here - by the time I was 16 I had been playing for 5 years and very acomplished for my age.

I have seen the Gary Willis for around £300 on a european website.

I was playing 5 string at 15. I only switched to 6 at 30yo.

11. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Your profile cracks me up. :D ZOMG CLASSICAL THUMP!!1!!11! :p

Anyway, Cort make a 5 string fretless with an unlined ebony(?) board.

12. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    even I can play classical thump.

teeheehee :bassist: !

13. I am not afilliated with the guy that began this thread but I could wipe the floor with people twice my age when I was 16 so do not assume that he knows nothing.

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Erm...What? 30yo.?

I've also heard the GW can be really good. But also, other people don't like it.

And, I'd like to hear a recording of your playing. Just for curiosity sakes.

15. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    No one ever said anything of the sort.

16. You'd like to hear a recording of my bass for what reason?

I added that because poeple have been ripping the mince out of him since the start of this thread. He's been asking simple questions yet he's been ripped to shreds.

I switched to 6 string BASS when I turned 30 years old.

I would also like to add that I think Jaco sucked, Marcus does as well and Manring is grossly overrated. These are, as always, my own opinions.

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Oh man....lol.

18. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Whoop! My fault. i got you two guys confused! Now it makes sense haha.

19. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    haha I think i started something I didn't mean. Just a bad mood at the time.

I'm backing out of this thread.

For my final reference, if price isn't an option...

Fretless 5's and 6s are made by Warwick (But deathly heavy), Musicman, and Ibanez. Those are the ones Xgabriel came up with, and I agree!

Bye Thread!

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Nobody has been ripping on the OP. He just came off a little cocky I think, and peoples posts have been in response to that.