Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-custom Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Sep 20, 2004.

1. who likes what in the "non-custom" fretless game.
    Warwick? Yamaha? what??

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Pedulla Buzz basses are the cat's meow.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Warwicks and FBasses, mmmmmm growly.....

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And a killer value, used.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What, exactly, do you mean by "non-custom?"

When I think of FBasses, I certainly consider them custom.

Do you just mean mass produced? I've got a fretless EB Bongo on the way being built to my specs. So, it's a custom order of a mass produced bass.

6. j-bass

j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
  7. I would consider an Fbass as custom.

I'm thinking more along the lines of mass produced basses.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, sorry, I figured since it was a "Stock" FBass that I fell for and now have, that it wasn't a custom job.

In that case though I stick by Warwick. Every one of their boltons has the same neck (save the Blondes and such), so the consistency of feel and tone is there - choose your sound flavor by body (wood for tone, shape for mass), all the while the ebony boards just give such a great "bite", whether round or flat is your weapon of string choice. I had a Thumb BO fretless with Brite flats, and my Buzzard fretlesses had rounds, and until I found the FBass, I thought I'd never want another fretless in life. Warwick FLs with rounds on them sound like overdrive and chorus are built-in, depending on how much you let your fingers dig in. Only one I didn't like was the passive Corvette FL I tried, but that was just because of humming electronics.

9. Biker,
    IF you're not going to get a Roscoe (and SHAME on you for not considering a Roscoe fretless! :mad: ), have you looked at a Lakland 55-02 fretless? A Warwick might be cool for that price range.

10. I'd love a Roscoe... actually... I'd love THIS roscoe http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=S5020

But I just can't swing it, nor justify that much money tied up in a fretless. Second.. I'd love to have Pete build me a fretless. And still may do that if I can find some $$$ under a rock somewhere. In the meantime... a great deal can be had on a Thumb5 B.O. fretless. And the opinions here seem to be pushing me that way.

Or... I can just forget a fretless alltogether and be happy with my Benavente, which always puts a smile on my face when I play it.

11. Conklin GT7, I have one with an upgraded 18v bass line preamp, sounds excellent and very affordable.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L is nice.
    Actually, Bryce are nice too. Don't rule out Fender...

13. Plain old Fender Jazz, MIA, MIJ, or to a lesser extent, MIM. Yamaha TRB's are nice too.

14. Ill let you all know about my fretless Ric when it eventually comes in.

I hope soon...it was ordered in March :(

15. Biker, how many strings are we talking here? If it's 4, a Fender is quite affordable. If you'd entertain a 7, I'd get Jorg's GT7.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Jorg makes basses too?????

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'll admit that I've even liked the sound of a Fender fretless P. There is definitely nothing wrong with mass produced fretless basses. Just go out and find a bass that appeals to you.

18. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Warwick Neck Thru Thumb-all the way!!

19. the 7 strings is SCARING me. I think I'll stick to 5. (but... it might be fun to try it)

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Musicman
    Fender fretless P-bass
    Lakland