non diatonic chord progressions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Berme, May 14, 2001.

1. Berme

May 11, 2001
    can someone out there talk about non diatonic progressions (with most common examples, songs, the feel we can obtain using these chords, where we can put them...)? For example, could someone name the initial chords (the arpegios) that J. Page uses in Stairway to Heaven? Sorry for my English.
  2. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    There are many ways of thinking about non-diatonic harmony. There is one approach that would also not include Modal Harmony(progressions based on the chords of a mode, rather than major/minor) or by using patterns(such as though based in symetric scales), polychords, hybrids and constant structure progressions(all the same type of chord) Some things to check out are Yellow Jackets, Wayne Shorter and some of Jaco's compositions. Hope I was of some sort of help.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The "Stairway" opening is more of a case of an "ornamentation" of minor diatonic harmony than an example of non-diatonic harmony. From bottom to top, the opening arpeggios read:

All of the notes here can be accounted for by thinking of "A" Melodic Minor if you combine the so-called "ascending" and "descending" forms:

Not to take anything away from Zep, but this progression is a take off on the minor walkdown found in the jazz standard "My Funny Valentine", which, like the chord progression itself, is as old as the hills.

Your English is fine.
  4. Berme

May 11, 2001
    thanks for your answers. I supose I was thinking about the Major scale and its modes. Didn't think about melodic minor, more used in jazz than in rock/metal. Well, i guess it´s time for some jazz listening.