1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Non-DSLR digital camera capable of taking sports/action shots?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dave64o, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Last fall I bought a Panasonic FZ-30 camera and was very pleased with the results. I was getting from it. Unfortunately it just died on me and after reading the symptoms and other buyers experiences fixing this problem I'm not thrilled about the way Panasonic has been handling the situation.

Assuming I have none of the repair issues that a lot of others have had it will still take about a month to get it back. I have an trip coming up in 10 days and taking pictures will be important to me so I need to find a replacement quickly.

Besides just taking pictures on this trip, I also used the Panasonic to get pictures of my son's soccer and basketball games and it did a nice job for a non-DSLR. I therefore need the replacement to be able to do a good job on action shots.

After looking at DP Review and Steve's Digicams looked like the Sony DSC-H1 was my best bet and I ordered one. My other top contender was the Canon PowerShot S2 IS, but shutter lag was considerably longer than the H1 and I ruled it out.

I wish I could wait until the Canon S3 IS and the Sony H2 area available, but I can't. The vacation I'm going on is with my parents, brothers and sisters, and all our families. At my parents' ages this is probably the only time we'll get to do something like this. So having a camera to capture it is pretty important to me. That's why I need to find a repalcement right away.

I will eventually get a DSLR but for a variety of reasons I can't do that right now and I'll have to stick with a point-and-shoot digicam. So, any experiences with a currently available, non-Panasonic model that will do a good job with sports/action shots?

Thanks!

Dave O.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The 'megazooms' are nice, but in general with any non-SLR camera you can take zoom pics only in good daylight - sunshine that is. Less light there is, smaller zoom you can use, in general.

I think at the moment the best cameras in non-DSLR section are Fuji's because of their new "Super-CCD" sensor. This sensor picks up less image noise than the competitiors, which means you can push ISO higher and take a image in bit lower light situation without too much noise in the image - Fuji's have ISO settings up to 1600, 3200 in some models but that's a bit overkill me thinks. Fuji's "consumer megazoom" is S5200, which is what I would recommend.

3. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    N00b question... what is SLR/DSLR?

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    SLR is a (professional-level) film camera that goes *click*. DSLR is a digital camera that goes *click*.

It stands for Single-Lens Reflex, which means there's a mirror in 45 degree angle between the lens and the film/sensor, which reflects the real-time view up into the viewfinder. When you push the button, the mirror turns up and the shutter mechanism opens for a tiny moment so the light can hit the film/sensor and image captured. This is what makes a "professional camera" sound like professonal when it's used.

The small digital cameras you hear going *click* actually have only recorded sound to signal a image is taken, which can be disabled too. There is no SLR mechanism inside the consumer-level cameras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera