1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Non-Fender vintage bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianchiu, Oct 17, 2013.

1. brianchiu

brianchiu

Jun 14, 2005
    Just wondering: many luthiers make vintage P or J bass (Sadowsky, Mike Lull ...), what's the comparison between those and Fenders?

I have trouble to believe that a 50 years old Fender which is double the cost than a Sadowsky or Mike Lull vintage is actually sounds better :confused: (sounds better, not feels better)
    Has anyone done any kind of blind test ? :D

2. Oh my god.

What have you done?

RUN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    WE'RE ALL GOONA DIE !!!!

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I don't know, I'd like to know as well. Are there any experts out there who can answer his question?

5. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    OH SH*% HERE WE GO AGAIN...:eek:

6. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    That's like asking if a $100 bottle of wine tastes 10 times better than a $10 bottle or if a $10,000 Fodera sounds 10 times better than a $1000 Fender. I own both new and old Fenders and have had a couple of Sadowskys. There are positive attributes with both other than sound/tone which is highly subjective anyway. It depends what you are looking for.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I like dill pickles on my hot dogs. Does that answer your question?

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    (sigh) Let me apologize in advance for the barrage of crap slinging that is probably coming your way.

The short version is this. To some, the old vintage Fenders sound better. They are offended at the very notion that some modern crap could possibly even be in the same room as a vintage Fender. To some, the new boutique Fender-style basses are better. They can't imagine why anyone would buy a bass that looked like it had been dragged behind a tractor for an entire harvest season and with fit, finish, quality and weight that is unpredictable at best.

The odds of your getting a very well thought out and honest comparison are pretty slim. This is a touch subject for those on both sides of the fence.

(Before anyone gets wadded panties, let me clear up that I don't think ALL owners of either kind of bass feel this way...... just the majority.)

9. Just to put more oil on the fire...

Does a vintage bass sound better then a modern one? I mean, research, new technologies, etc.

I'm obviously not serious here. I must admit I've always been, and still am, tempted by vintage or vintage style instruments and always ended up picking up modern basses with more output... beats me! The worst part is that I still want that vintage style bass... and I might end up getting an MM Bongo at the end of it all!!!

OK, to end my none sense post, I'd like to finish with a real thought about basses... remember the wands in Harry Potter? "The wand chooses the wizard" thing? Well, you know when a bass feels and sounds right, who cares if it's modern, vintage, vintage reissue, home made or whatever...

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Then don't buy one. :rollno:

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    You forgot to ask about relic'd modern basses and also which of these is the best bass for metal. Once we have those things cleared up we can mosey over to the Amps forum and ask about tube watts and whether they are louder than solid-state watts.

12. brianchiu

brianchiu

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks to all the replies!
    But .... does anyone have some real personal experience and willing to share? :meh:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My experience...

I like good instruments and I don't like bad ones and I couldn't care less about the price or when it was made or whatever. I've played vintage Fenders, Sadowskys, Lulls, Alleva Coppolos...they're all quite good, and if you can't get a good sound with any of them, I ain't blaming the bass.

14. brianchiu

brianchiu

Jun 14, 2005
    Good point .... I like it !

15. I had a 73 Precision that was unimpressive; I have a parts(MIM/Allparts)P that sounds and plays wonderfully.
    Are all 73s poop? I doubt it.
    Are all well-assembled parts Ps great? Probably not.
    My experience relative to the OP.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

All joking aside. (And I have plenty of jokes)

You simply judge each bass on it own. Some are great, some not so great.

It's much easier if you don't pay to much attention to the name on the headstock.

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Instrument value is based on what someone will pay for it, not how good it is on paper. The value is different depending on who you ask. I spent over 2K on a vintage bass but wouldn't consider paying that much for a new one with similar specs, but I know people who pay that much for their new basses who wouldn't touch the vintage one I bought for half as much. There are likely people who have both. A consensus on this issue will not be reached.

18. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    I personally would never own basses that expensive on the account of fear of damage or theft. And if I'm not going to play it or worry about it every show then why bother.

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I always had this thing for a Fender, but getting older, I have a real need for light weight instruments. So I built a Fenderish P with a Paulownia body. 6.6 pounds, and from what I can tell it has enough mojo. After a couple hours on the back, it sounds way better than any vintage Fender would, as you don't hear me moaning along with the music.

20. brianchiu

brianchiu

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks to all the responds!

We all realize that there's no answer to this question,that's not what I'm looking for anyway; I'm just wondering if there's anyone currently using both? (let's say ... a '62 P bass and a new Mike Lull P4 ?) can share some experiences? pros and cons? It's like iPhone 6 vs. Samsung Galaxy S5, right?

Why did I choose the word "blind test" ? cause I found a lot of people let their eyes decide what is better, not ears.